Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

DMX Smoke

pro_tech

Hi

You will need to plug the smoke machine into the DMX cable run somewhere along the line. I would generally patch it as Channel 48 and then with the desk in wide mode hitting the flash button for channel 48 will make smoke or raising the fader will leave it on.

If you wanted you could write a profile for a smoke machine and then use it on one of the fixture buttons.

Hope that helps.

Graham

It is actually quite difficult to tell you how to plug the smoke machine in to the DMX cable - because it is one of the simplest things to do, but the exact method depends on your set-up.

Basically you plug the DMX cable (which comes out of the desk) in to the DMX in socket on the smoke machine. However since you also need to plug the desk in to your dimmers and maybe your moving lights you either need to plug the smoke machine in before or after them.

You should be able to go out of the 'DMX out' from the dimmers, into the 'DMX in' on the smoke machine, but that does depend on the dimmers.

You could run a cable out of the 'DMX out (B)' socket (the empty 5 pin socket on the desk) and just plug that in to the smoke machine only - but this would depend on having a long DMX cable.

With regard to patching, as was said before, just set the smoke machine to address '48' (don't ask how to do this unless you know the exact make and model of the smoke machine - read the manual) and then you can use channel 48's fader or flash button as you would if it was a light.

I would suggest that you try to find someone with some experience to help you though as this is all pretty basic stuff and not very easy to describe in writing!

1 . DMX cable out of the desk to the stage

2. DMX into the dimmers

3. DMX out of the dimmers to the input on the smoker

4. DMX out of the smoker to your movers( if you have some)

5. Address your smoker to 48 dip switchs 5 &6

6. Rase fader 48 smoker will do its thing( desk must be in WIDE MODE.

:lol:

• 1 month later...
Hi, once again i didn't succeed in patching the smoke machine to the desk.

and once again i would like a step by step guide...and call me thick but please dumb it down a bit.

I have a Jem ZR22 Smoke machine, it comes with 2 small red DMX cables, but i've only got 2 DMX channels for the Roboscans and the Pars, so i don't know what to do.

Thanks...again

Billy

Moderation: Above post moved to end of this topic to avoid duplication :)

Assuming that the specified smoke machine is a single channel DMX device, it can be patched to one of the generic/preset faders or you can assign one of the 12 fixtures on the Fat Frog to a simple 'conventional' fixture type (which has a single brightness channel), or you can create you own fixture type with a single channel which can be classified as whatever attribute you wish (brightness, colour, beam or position).

It depends whther you wish to control the smoke machine as a HTP channel like normal generic/dimmer channels, a single channel fixture (HTP) or a single channel fixture (LTP).

As to the physical connection/wiring I would suggest you refer to the manual for the smoke machine and the responses in the above posts.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace