Jump to content
Zero 88 Community Support Forum
Sign in to follow this  
der Puni

Problem: Encoder Wheels sensitivity

Recommended Posts

Hello,

as i mentioned in a thread before, i really like the FLXS24, because it does so many things right. But there is always room for improvement ;-) 

Right now I do have my "difficulties" with the sensitivity of the Encoder wheels.

For example:

If the encoder wheel sensitivity is set @50% (factory default): Changing Position and Colour values works just fine. Rotating the wheels fast makes great changements of values. To do fine adjustments, I turn the wheels slowly - just click by click. But:  If i  want to reduce the effect speed (or size or offset) with the speed encoder wheel, one "click" of the Encoder wheels means a jump of 3-4 values. With this setup it is not possible to set specific values on the Effects - which really can be annoying.

If I set the encoder wheel sensitivity is @40% (setup -> system settings -> Attribute settings -> Position settings -> wheel sensitivity @40%)  : I now have the possibility to control the effect values in a "better" way (one click decreases/increases the value +/- 1), but now position or colour changing via encoder wheels works quite horrible. For example: to change the red value from 233 to 234 I have to turn the wheels about  three times.

so here are my questions:

  1. What am I doing wrong? Has someone else the same "troubles"?
  2. how can i set the sensitivity of the encoder wheels separately (e.g. Position 50%, Effect 20%)
  3. In the system settings the Colour-, Beamshape- and Positionsettings can be set separately. But: Encoder-wheel-sensitivity settings are global for all Parameters - why?
  4. is there a way to change the values without using the encoder wheels? Or will it be implemented in further future? -  e.g. push specific encoder wheel and set the value via touchscreen.

 

hoping to find some answers ;-)

Gerhard.

P.S.: the software version of my FLXS24 is 7.9.3, OS Version 7.8.12

P.P.S.: sorry for my bad english. If you do need some more information, feel free to ask.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gerhard,

Really Glad you like FLX S!

To change the sensitivity of each attribute, rather than going into Setup, hold SETUP, and tap the attribute tab along the top of the touchscreen when you have a fixture selected. In here you’ll be able to define sensitivities per attribute, and you’ll also see that when holding SHIFT, you can define whether the wheels fan the parameters, or act as fine of course, which is what you may want to consider for Effect if you find it too sensitive.

To set a specific parameter level, you can hold SHIFT + tap the parameter name above the encoder wheel on the touchscreen, tap Z, then type @ (percentage level) for the parameter to go to that level. 

Hope that helps

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Edward,

thanks for your helpful tips. I will try them out as soon as possible and give you some feedback.

Have a nice day,

Gerhard.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Edward (and all other readers ;-)

As promised, I want to give you some feedback about your hints:

1.)

On 28.1.2018 at 4:35 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

To set a specific parameter level, you can hold SHIFT + tap the parameter name above the encoder wheel on the touchscreen, tap Z, then type @ (percentage level) for the parameter to go to that level. 

This helps a lot and works quite fine. Thank you!

 

2.)

On 28.1.2018 at 4:35 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

To change the sensitivity of each attribute, rather than going into Setup, hold SETUP, and tap the attribute tab along the top of the touchscreen when you have a fixture selected. In here you’ll be able to define sensitivities per attribute...

Man, I wished this would work - but it didn't. I can change the sensitivity the described way, but it is only changed global. That means: If I changed the sensitivity for the effect-attribute from 50% to 30% it will also be changed for all other attributes automatically. Maybe i do miss something? I there a other setting to make somewhere to hold the sensitivities separately?

 

3.)

On 28.1.2018 at 4:35 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

...and you’ll also see that when holding SHIFT, you can define whether the wheels fan the parameters, or act as fine of course, which is what you may want to consider for Effect if you find it too sensitive.

I've tried this out before and it didn't work either. There is no specific difference if this setting is done + shift- button is hold while configuring the values. On other thought - Please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought the fine/coarse differentiation is for attributes with a 16-bit resolution like PAN/TILT...

 

Edward - I really do appreciate your help so much, but all in all I'm still searching for a satisfying solution,

with kind regards,

Gerhard

 

B.T.W: You must send more T-shirts into space ;-) Great idea - great video!

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Gerhard,

On 2/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, der Puni said:

Man, I wished this would work - but it didn't. I can change the sensitivity the described way, but it is only changed global. That means: If I changed the sensitivity for the effect-attribute from 50% to 30% it will also be changed for all other attributes automatically. Maybe i do miss something? I there a other setting to make somewhere to hold the sensitivities separately?

Ok thanks for pointing that one out, we will look into this.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, der Puni said:

I've tried this out before and it didn't work either. There is no specific difference if this setting is done + shift- button is hold while configuring the values. On other thought - Please correct me if I'm wrong: I thought the fine/coarse differentiation is for attributes with a 16-bit resolution like PAN/TILT...

Ah apologies yes for Effect this won't work, as this does indeed apply to 16 bit parameters only. We will look into improving the sensitivity of the Effect parameters, in the meantime If you are still finding this an issue, you should find around 40% global sensitivity is a good compromise for all parameters if you are regularly using Effect encoders.

On 2/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, der Puni said:

B.T.W: You must send more T-shirts into space ;-) Great idea - great video!

Thanks very much! ;-)

Edward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×