Zero 88 Community Support Forum
robhurt

Tracking for idiots

Hi All, 

I'm slowly getting to grips with the FLX and think it's a great desk. Unfortunately I'm a bit dim and I'm getting confused by tracking (stop laughing!). The last desk I used didn't have tracking (if a light was selected when "program" was pressed it was stored, if it wasn't selected it wasn't stored), so whilst I understand the principal, I'm not really used to it. 

When I'm programming, I'll go back into a scene I have saved (for example let's say in cue 4) and add a light and update the cue. Now in cue 5, which is a blackout, this one light that I added in cue 4 is still lit and I have to edit cue 5 to remove it. 

The same thing happens in reverse, so if I go to cue 6 and take a light out, in cue 7 it's also missing and I have to add it back in again. 

I'm sure there's a simple button I need to press to avoid this, but as I'm not very intelligent I haven't dared to play with the tracking settings for fear of breaking it beyond my limited intellect. 

Any advise would be appreciated! 

Rob,

Don't be daft, denigrating yourself. It's new to me too. Fortunately usually tracking "just works", certainly with SmartTag on

8 minutes ago, robhurt said:

When I'm programming, I'll go back into a scene I have saved (for example let's say in cue 4) and add a light and update the cue. Now in cue 5, which is a blackout, this one light that I added in cue 4 is still lit and I have to edit cue 5 to remove it. 

The same thing happens in reverse, so if I go to cue 6 and take a light out, in cue 7 it's also missing and I have to add it back in again. 

With your edits, what you needed to do was select "Cue Only" in the Record/Update window. Otherwise the change "tracks" into the later cues - that's what tracking does - the "Record" operation with SmartTag only captures the changes from one cue to the next rather than everything. This means that is a light isn't set to change, it's not recorded. If you want to store "everything" - and I usually do this for blackouts, then use Shift+Record, which comes up as "Record All", and does just that, so all intensities get recorded in the blackout cue, and this "blocks" any lights that are tracking from "bleeding through".

Stand by for a much better explanation from Edward or Jon!

Kevin

2 minutes ago, kgallen said:

Rob,

Don't be daft, denigrating yourself. It's new to me too. Fortunately usually tracking "just works", certainly with SmartTag on.

With your edits, what you needed to do was select "Cue Only" in the Record/Update window. Otherwise the change "tracks" into the later cues - that's what tracking does - the "Record" operation with SmartTag only captures the changes from one cue to the next rather than everything. If you want to store "everything" - and I usually do this for blackouts, then use Shift+Record, which comes up as "Record All", and does just that.

Stand by for a much better explanation from Edward or Jon!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin! I'm sure it's easy when you know what you're doing. I'll give the "cue only" option a go for my edits thanks! I've never had a problem with tracking before expect for the edits.

If I do press shift+record and then choose "record all" will that take effect for that cue only I assume? 

Thanks again!

12 minutes ago, robhurt said:

If I do press shift+record and then choose "record all" will that take effect for that cue only I assume? 

Yes it just makes that record/update operation record everything. The following cue you record will just record the changes again.

If you set the desk into the Non-Tracking mode, (I believe) it will always record everything (intensity, colour, position etc). However if you have anything other than dimmers patched, you'll probably want to use the Tracking mode (I just use "Tracking Basic") because that takes most of the worry out of LTP attributes like colour and movement.

Not sure if it will help, but there are a few external documents linked here that talk about tracking. The ETC one is ok.

Hi both,

Kevin's descriptions pretty much sum it up, sounds like leaving SmartTag enabled, and being in cue only mode (tapping "Cue Only" in the Record Options screen so that it has a red stripe next to it) will be your ideal programming method.

3 hours ago, kgallen said:

If you set the desk into the Non-Tracking mode, (I believe) it will always record everything (intensity, colour, position etc). However if you have anything other than dimmers patched, you'll probably want to use the Tracking mode (I just use "Tracking Basic") because that takes most of the worry out of LTP attributes like colour and movement.

I'll let you into a secret here, SmartTag with Cue Only enabled is exactly the same as being in "Non-Tracking" mode. However when in Non-Tracking mode, we just hide the buttons to make it less confusing.

Hope that helps,

Edward

Hi Edward,

4 minutes ago, Edward- Z88 said:

I'll let you into a secret here, SmartTag with Cue Only enabled is exactly the same as being in "Non-Tracking" mode. However when in Non-Tracking mode, we just hide the buttons to make it less confusing.

Really? If you update a cue and use Cue Only, surely internally in the desk database it has to then go and change the following cue to reinstate the fixture value that was updated Cue Only in order to remove the tracking behaviour. i.e in updated cue n, the fixture takes the update value then in cue n+1 the fixture has to be set back to the values from cue n-1. This wouldn't be necessary in Non-Tracking.

Sorry - an academic comment really, we'll not get into exactly how the software is architected, I'm just surprised it's "the same".

Kevin

On 1/18/2018 at 4:55 PM, Edward- Z88 said:

I'll let you into a secret here

On 1/18/2018 at 5:04 PM, kgallen said:

Really?

One secret now means we need to let you into a second one...

(For future eavesdroppers - this is purely academic, this knowledge is NO use to how you program the console at all, and can be completely ignored if you're not familiar with Non-tracking mode).

ZerOS showfiles are always stored as "tracked" values, even if you're in Non-tracking mode. This allows the showfile to be smaller, and for users to switch between Tracking and Non-Tracking mode whenever they want without things breaking. We just change how we read and interact with the data depending on the mode they're currently in.

2 minutes ago, Jon Hole said:

and for users to switch between Tracking and Non-Tracking mode whenever they want without things breaking

That's useful to know, although SmartTag works so well I haven't needed to run scared back to a non-tracked mode. I often ended up back in full mode on the Fat Frog when partial scared the bejeezus out of me! :(