Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Issue with Z Remote on iOS 10

Sven76

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem but also every couple of minuets the app freezes and disconnects which mean it takes forever to program a show on the app and is not reliable at all during live performances. Is there somthing I can do to fix this, am I doing somthing wrong? I've read a review on the App Store who seemed to have the same problem but was still wondering if anyone else had this problem. (iPhone 6 IOS 10)

Any help would be much appreciated

-Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jon

I just gave it a try and all seems to work fine...

the wheels now appear also; fine !! thank you !!

but there is a little issue with the (virtual) wheels :

normally on the console and for the thumb-wheel when pushing it to the left, the value increases; in the app when turning to the left the values decrease (just like it was in ZerOS7)....

there is one other thing I told you already about :

when launching the Remote App the virtual numeric pad comes up first (which is a very good thing) but then it disappears and there is no way to get it back (at least I didn't find any way or menu-item to get this back ... except when relaunching the app

...but maybe I missed something ??

Hi Jon,

I was able to do a first test with the app as well.

First let me say, that my initial issue with covered sections on the screen is fixed with it.

But 2 things I'd like to mention for maybe future improvements:

- the "wheels" are hard to operate, since it seems you really have to "rotate" them on the screen, which is not very accurate on a smartphone size display. In my eyes it would be better to "click" them and while "clicked" move finger up and down. Of course this doesn't give you the ability to "endless" rotate, but I guess it would be more comfortable.

- on the syntax screen, only the "basic" buttons are available. In the past release, there were some "page" buttons, were you were able to switch to the remaining buttons. Why this might be important? For example there is a "record" button, but none for "submaster" or "cue". So where will it record? ;-)

keep on with the good work!

Best regards

Sven

For example there is a "record" button, but none for "submaster" or "cue". So where will it record?

In ZerOS 7.9.1 (ORB Series) and ZerOS 7.9.2 (Solution Series & FROG2) we remove Submasters and everything becomes a Playback. FLX is already like this. Everything is progressing to that point, unfortunately at different speeds, but that's the end goal in the next month or two.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon,

I know about that concept. This was No 1 on my wishlist. That's why I already updated our ORB XF to 7.9.1 ;-)

But what is the syntax to select the playback to store to (on the app)? When I'm on the desk, I just press the button below the playback, I want to store to.

Best regards

Sven

That's of course technically right. But if you lets say want to store on PB 304 (just to tell a number), you would need much patience, since there are only 6 playbacks per page.

I'm not telling it isn't working and I don't request more for the next release. I only want to give you something to think about in direction of ergonomics for future development ;-)

Best regards

Sven

• 2 weeks later...

when launching the Remote App the virtual numeric pad comes up first (which is a very good thing) but then it disappears and there is no way to get it back (at least I didn't find any way or menu-item to get this back ... except when relaunching the app

In the next beta of ZerOS (7.9.1.3) this has been fixed, which a new item in the menu to take you back to the Command Syntax

That's of course technically right. But if you lets say want to store on PB 304 (just to tell a number), you would need much patience, since there are only 6 playbacks per page.

I'm not telling it isn't working and I don't request more for the next release. I only want to give you something to think about in direction of ergonomics for future development ;-)

We'll have a think about a quicker way of jumping to a particular page. However, I think we have to accept that there are some things which are just always going to be quicker and easier on the console itself - recording 304 playbacks might be one of them :P

Jon Hole

Jon, I'm happy to do testing of the app, however I'm only using phantom :) (for reasons we've already spoken about)

Added :-)

Thanks Jon

When you have a chance, give it a go. I think you'll like it. Let me know your feedback!

Jon Hole

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...