Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

lack of user manual

SimonH

I have started a new topic so it doesn't get lost in the pinned one.

Can we have a date please for the release of the user manual that will actually refer to all the new elements with the new software?

It is a lovely desk and I am enjoying using it but at the moment I wouldn't recommend people buying it as there is so little in the way of reference material to actually work out how to use it.

You wouldn't except this when buying a new TV.

I think the problem here is that unlike a tv the software is changing so fast it is near impossible for the manual to be kept up to date. As you mention, the short manual that was released several months ago is already out of date. I am not saying that there shouldn't be a manual but what i am saying is i would rather Jon and his team concentrate on on the R&D of the product wilst keeping the price down.look at the software industry (this would be a closer comparison) you dont often get manuals you get short online guides, fourums and books writen by third parties.

I think there is some middle ground here. This is such a complex product it just must have a manual for users to have the vaguest chance of using it, however intuitive the developers might think it is. As we're discussing, a paper based manual is probably impractical due to the rate and extent of changes to the platform, and as users we like these enhancements. Documentation that is up to date is always a challenge, particularly for a small company. Maybe Jon would consider a 'softer' form of manual, maybe published and maintained online rather than on paper. Maybe such a format would be easier to maintain and keep up to date with software changes, but at the end of the day is going to take some effort and commitment to get together.

The console has been out for well over 18 months now. An official complete manual in whatever form is really a reasonable expectation by now before we really do scare off new customers for an excellent product, and that will be bad for all of us.

Just my 2p worth...

Indeed. However for a complete beginner you do have the first draft manual that explains most functionalty to program a basic show. Also check out the zero88 youtube channel they have several videos showing how to setup and operate the console. As for new updates you can look at the release notes. Maybe as a starting point to bring it all together the past release notes could be made available in a repository somewhere on the web. In addition the zero88 forum is one of the most responsive i use, particularly for more advanced questions.

I dont think i would put prospective users off buying a flx based on a lack of manual, warn them yes, but i would still recommend it 100% for price, functionality and support.

In terms of an online manual this is something i know jon is looking at, although i am sure he can update us on that one when he can.

100% agree it's past the point of needing it now, and I'll get you an updated one tomorrow. Then we'll wait a week or two for feedback, and then release it properly.

As a side project, I'll look at the possibility of an online (crowd sourced?) manual for the future, so it's easier to keep it up to date. This will benefit all the consoles.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi All,

Sorry I didn't post on this thread sooner - the updated manual is in the Beta Test forum - it's there as it references all the new features of ZerOS 7.9.1. Everyone in this thread are part of the Beta Test group.

Jon

Hmmm except me....All I get is:

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

[#103139]

You do not have permission to view this forum.

Ivor

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone in this thread are part of the Beta Test group.

Hmmm except me....All I get is:

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

[#103139]

You do not have permission to view this forum.

You're not part of the Beta Test group. If you drop me an email (address in signature below) I'll email a copy across to you.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control