Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Zero88 Desk-Screen Font Choice

barefootcoder

Hi

I think this is a question for John and the Zero88 team but...

Has anyone else besides me ever wanted a different font that is displayed on the screen we can attach to our zero88 desks?

I have used the frog desks and I am currently using a Jester.

The font that is displayed is similar to Times Roman, and it would be really good (especially for us lot whose eyesight is not that great) to have a more modular font with no fancy pieces around the letter.

The Ubuntu common font is a good all-rounder, or perhaps Arial or something similar (or even a few choices).

...any ideas anyone?

Thanx

pj

post-1419-0-63041200-1472281598_thumb.png

post-1419-0-25609800-1472281607_thumb.jpg

post-1419-0-46133700-1472281614_thumb.png

Hi pj,

there are three (relevant) categories of fonts: serif, sans-serif and monospace.

The jester uses a monospace font with serifs... ;) Monospaced means, that every char has the same with (space). In some situations this is what you want or maybe the software is not capable of using multi-spaced fonts. Additionally, the Ubuntu or other sans-serif fonts need a large resolution to look good, so it's not fitting with the jesters specs.

That's what I'm thinking about it, at last Jon (zero88) can give a categorical answer.

I agree, Monospaced fonts are ideal for this situation.

There are a few different monospaced fonts that could work.

Perhaps one with no fancy topping and tailling of the letters.

Maybe something like Andale Mono - this is very popular.

andale-mono-font-sample.png

or maybe Letter Gothic

letter-gothic-font-sample.png

Kind Regards

Thanks for the comments!

We use monospaced fonts for various reasons. The main one is so intensities don't "jump" / "shake" all over the place when running a fade.

There's another issue here that's not been covered... which is licensing and distribution. Unfortunately we can't just choose any font and start shipping it :(

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control