Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Some requests and a bug

Lufferov

I just plotted a show on the FLX, it's the first time I've really used it for that purpose. Up to now it's been used as a busking desk... However this was for a theatrical production and I had a couple of issues with with things the Lighting Designer wanted that I didn't know how to achieve.

Firstly default times... you can set a default fade time, but that default is for up and down. But the LD wanted me to set default fade times of 3 up and 5 down. Can we have the ability to set default times for each parameter in a future update?

At the moment the Copy button will only copy cues and playbacks I think? Can you also enable a way to copy channel data? For instance, I get a look I like for a moving light with colour, gobo, focus, position etc.. I want to copy that to another moving light in the rig. I don't think that's currently possible is it? Or if I find a colour in one of my LED fixtures I really like, I want to say "Group 31 Copy 141" which will make all fixtures in Group 31 the same as channel 141.

On the whole, plotting the show was a fairly pain free process, coming from an ETC Ion there are obviously limitations. Having to put effects into other playbacks and using Macros in my cue stack felt a bit clunky for instance...

A couple of time I used the "goto cue" function by holding the Go button and typing a cue number. Although it went to that cue, on a few occasions it didn't update the cue list to show me the current position which was a bit awkward and I don't know why.

Hi Lufferov,

Firstly default times... you can set a default fade time, but that default is for up and down. But the LD wanted me to set default fade times of 3 up and 5 down. Can we have the ability to set default times for each parameter in a future update?

Default times can be split, in Setup you can type 3/5. I found this by accident myself just playing around!

As Kevin says you can use a forward slash (which is easy IF you have an external keyboard, or use a showfile loaded from Phantom FLX). I've added an issue to make this easier - ZOS-7310 - thanks for pointing it out :-)

At the moment the Copy button will only copy cues and playbacks I think? Can you also enable a way to copy channel data? For instance, I get a look I like for a moving light with colour, gobo, focus, position etc.. I want to copy that to another moving light in the rig. I don't think that's currently possible is it? Or if I find a colour in one of my LED fixtures I really like, I want to say "Group 31 Copy 141" which will make all fixtures in Group 31 the same as channel 141.

There is a specification written to greatly increase the functionality of the copy window. Untill then, select the fixture you like, go to "beamshape" (or any other palette window), press RECORD, choose "selected fixtures" and "all parameters" in the Record Window, and then select an empty palette. Now you can choose the other fixtures, and press that palette.

On the whole, plotting the show was a fairly pain free process, coming from an ETC Ion there are obviously limitations. Having to put effects into other playbacks and using Macros in my cue stack felt a bit clunky for instance...

It's only chases you need to put into other playbacks. Effects can be recorded directly into a cue. We're looking into making effects more capable (so you need to use chases less often), and chases simpler to add into cues - so between these two, hopefully it'll make this even easier!

A couple of time I used the "goto cue" function by holding the Go button and typing a cue number. Although it went to that cue, on a few occasions it didn't update the cue list to show me the current position which was a bit awkward and I don't know why.

Strange... I've never seen this (and use goto cue very often!). Do you have a showfile you can email me so I can take a look if there's anything which might cause this.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

"As Kevin says you can use a forward slash (which is easy IF you have an external keyboard, or use a showfile loaded from Phantom FLX). I've added an issue to make this easier - ZOS-7310 - thanks for pointing it out :-)"

Hi Jon I think I asked a while back if THRU could be used for this, because as you say otherwise it needs an external keyboard. So you might already have this logged.

Hi Jon I think I asked a while back if THRU could be used for this, because as you say otherwise it needs an external keyboard. So you might already have this logged.

Yep - I think it's more obvious if we separate it out into two individual cells though :-)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control