Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

what am I doing wrong?

SimonH

I'm running 15 RGBW pars and if I plot a state in cue stack 1 that has all in blue and then a state in stack 2 that all are red, the cue stacks don't recall the colour. If I select them and change colour so say green and then clear everything, the cue stacks just bring them up as green.

Why is the colour not being recalled with the cue stack?

(I'm sure Jon will have a better explanation soon, and sorry if I'm about to point out the obvious and you're and experienced user!)

All of the LEDs seem to be recorded with Blue=100 in all programmed P/Bs 21-23 and you're in Non-Tracking mode so all attributes will always be recorded - so activating any P/B will set all LEDs to blue regardless of what they were before.

I don't see any programming in P/B1 or P/B2.

If with ch101 thru 115 selected, I choose a green palette then the Intensities/Live window says C6:Green for the R/G/B. Activating a playback doesn't change them to Blue=100. Source/Live shows the source as P i.e programmer. So it seem the programmer takes priority over the activated playback. If I release the programmer overrides with Shift+Clear (clear the programmer but leave the selection intact), then the LEDs revert to Blue=100 even without touching the P/Bs.

This is probably all as intended, will leave for Jon to confirm or otherwise!

OK so I'm poking around a bit more now and I'm now confused! If I set Source/Live for the Output Window and press the PB21-23 buttons I do get other selections up on the Output WIndow. If I press PB21, the internal screen gets the red bar top right. Clear+PB21 clears the colour. Likewise, Green on PB22 and Blue on PB23 and Clear+PB can clear the colour. But this doesn't really seem to correspond with the Output Window. With PB21, R,B columns are blank and Green colums says "D" (I need to look up what this is, maybe default?). With PB22, R,G=C 22/1 and Blue is "D". With PB23, Green=C 23/1 and R,B columns are blank. So now I'm as confused as you as in Non Tracking I would have thought all colour attributes would be recorded always! Over to Jon...!

I was using PhantomOS(FLX)7.9 so didn't have any real lights connected! I was just looking at the Intensities/Live window with ch 101 thru 115 selected so I could see the LTP attribute information.

I have replied directly to Simon as I will be at his venue in 10 days time - and looking forward to using the FLX and the new waterproof LEDs.

Reading between the lines and imagining what Simon is trying to achieve and why he wishes to have the LEDs colours on individual playbacks, I think I can see the potential issues. This "need" is something I appreciate as I would use this on most of the shows I do - especially ones at his venue.

The scenario is this................ Shows that need a standard theatrical cue stack that has been programmed (usually very rushed) to get basic states into the desk (possibly including movers) and then additional states "busked" over the top to be either recorded as the improved state during the first performance or simply used as "live effects". On modern desks, using LEDs as fixtures will not easily produce the same effect as having each colour produced by a stand alone "parcan" in a primary colour on a separate generic dimmer, which is the effect we are actually after (I think this is the root of the question).

The "luddite" solution is to patch the LEDs as a series of individual channels and then using playbacks and groups to mix the colours as required. This way, during the show you can easily creep in the colours you need subtly and re-record if needed.

I have tried the fixture route with the FLX (and the competition) and whilst I would love to be corrected, I think Kgallen's reply above probably sums up the difficulty in getting all the parameters and settings correct.

If there is a way of achieving what Simon and I are after, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Alan

I think I'd try again in a new set of PBs as the programming on PB21-23 looks really confusing.

If you are wanting to use your 3 PBs to mix R and G and B freely then you'll need to be in one of the Teacking modes and make sure only the required colour parameter is touched before hitting Record.

Kevin

Hi,

All I did with the 3 PB's was start with a clear plot and select all the LED's via a group. I put the intensities at 100 as nothing seem to be stored if I didn't.

So the first PB was with all LED's in red. I then pressed 'clear' twice and repeated the process with blue and green.

When trying to play back the colour remained as the last selected even after pressing 'shift clear'

This is all being done with primaries at the moment but I can't how it will be different if I plotted a day state and a night state on 2 separate playbacks.

What I'm really trying to achieve is what was possible on the Solution as submasters before it went wrong!!

I have replied directly to Simon as I will be at his venue in 10 days time - and looking forward to using the FLX and the new waterproof LEDs.

Reading between the lines and imagining what Simon is trying to achieve and why he wishes to have the LEDs colours on individual playbacks, I think I can see the potential issues. This "need" is something I appreciate as I would use this on most of the shows I do - especially ones at his venue.

The scenario is this................ Shows that need a standard theatrical cue stack that has been programmed (usually very rushed) to get basic states into the desk (possibly including movers) and then additional states "busked" over the top to be either recorded as the improved state during the first performance or simply used as "live effects". On modern desks, using LEDs as fixtures will not easily produce the same effect as having each colour produced by a stand alone "parcan" in a primary colour on a separate generic dimmer, which is the effect we are actually after (I think this is the root of the question).

The "luddite" solution is to patch the LEDs as a series of individual channels and then using playbacks and groups to mix the colours as required. This way, during the show you can easily creep in the colours you need subtly and re-record if needed.

I have tried the fixture route with the FLX (and the competition) and whilst I would love to be corrected, I think Kgallen's reply above probably sums up the difficulty in getting all the parameters and settings correct.

If there is a way of achieving what Simon and I are after, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

Alan

ok, so I have loaded your file Alan and it seems to be working in the way I expected although not the way I wanted as each playback pulls down the level of the previous one. If you have 2 faders at 60% say and bring one of them down, the colour remains fixed so it doesn't leave the single playback active.

There sems to be an issue with the way I am plotting the playbacks as the ones in your file operate straight away whereas mine need the flash button to load them which is what is grabbing the colour. If I clear that playback I get control of yours again but not mine until I press the flash button again.

So I'm back to my original question - 'What am I doing wrong?'

I've attached the file with both types of playback recorded.

Thanks

Minack default v3.isf