Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Can I copy data when creating fixtures?

stowedout

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting my head round my new FLX after a few years on an old 48 channel console so its a steep learing curve. I have used some of fixtures from the FLX database, written two of my own for RGB LED fixtures to learn the basics of that for myself.

We are busking small music shows and one of our big bang for your buck fixtures is the Kam Powerglide. Zero88 created a fixture for us the fixture has 8 controllable LED's on two moving bars. Zero88 created LED1 with colour "details" which then creates palettes on the FLX, the other 7 LED's do not have the additional data entered when the fixture was created . The wheel has to be used to change colours.

My question is can I copy the data in the fixture creator from colour 1 to the other 7 colours so they can all use the pallet? or am I doing something wrong? I have attached the ift if it helps

Thanks

PowerGlide.ift

As far as i know it's currently not possible to have more than one set of color-mixing parameters per fixture. We have the same problem with Robe 300 LEDWash and it's three separately controllable LED-segments.

We solved this for us using two different fixture-types and four fixtures per LEDWash: one for the parameters with position, zoom and so on and three others for the LED-segment colours.

zerOS 8 will maybe support multiple colours per fixture in the future...

That's great thanks for getting back to me. I will put that to Zero88 as a future enhancement. I will have a go at creating 9 fixtures per unit! I'm working with Phantom on a laptop for the next few days and still have to set up a visualizer so once i'm back home I will let you know how I get on.

• 4 weeks later...

zerOS 8 will maybe support multiple colours per fixture in the future...

ZerOS 8 will solve your problem, which is the multiple segments for colour mixing (or multiple intensities, or multiple pan/tilts, or multiple anythings!).

However, I don't think that's the problem described above, which is about copying and pasting channel details from one channel to another in the Fixture Type Editor. Currently you need to do each channel individually. We're not changing how our Editor works currently, as we'll soon be outsourcing this to a 3rd Party company - and they'll solve all these problems for us!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

We're not changing how our Editor works currently, as we'll soon be outsourcing this to a 3rd Party company - and they'll solve all these problems for us!

Once outsourced to a 3rd party, will the fixture editor/creator still be available for users to create there own custom fixtures?

I create a lot of custom bespoke fixtures based on different shows needs and need to constantly make fixture profiles to accommodate this, i would never ask Zero 88 to build the profiles as they are bespoke to the show/venue so would never benefit your user base.

Once outsourced to a 3rd party, will the fixture editor/creator still be available for users to create there own custom fixtures?

There will always be a way for users to create their own profiles. Eventually I'd like to get it on the console themselves (and via Phantom if working on a laptop).

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Folks

Just to add to the above. As I have become more used to the FLX and creating fixtures I went back to the Kam Power Glide issue that started this topic, I found that when I entered all the data for each of the 8 RBGW leds the FLX created pallets for each colour when the small centre button on the wheel is pressed. (however that did involve entering 128 colour names and 128 end values when creating the fixture) which brings me back to why I posted my original question asking if I could copy data as it would have only involved 16 names and 16 end points.