Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

betapack 1 channel fault

hi all, hoping you can help

have two aging beta 1s, they get fairly light use in the school where I work,

2 consecutive channels are constantly on, I bought some triacs and fitted to the relevant channels

but did not solve the problem

the triacs I removed are T2513MK, and the ones I fitted in their place are BTA25600B

so my questions are

have I fitted the right triacs? and could I have wired them incorrectly?

could there be another fault?

any help with this will be greatly appreciated

steve

If you can solder, swapping the resistors is pretty straightforward. You have to remove all of the screws holding the PCB into the chassis to get to the solder side. I've done 4 Betapacks (1's and 2's) and I don't recall them being hard - the Betapack 1s I think were a bit easier as there is more room.

Just make sure you get the correct VR rated components as per my link. Don't just buy any old 100k 1W resistors as they are across mains voltage.

If you've got an ohmmeter, you can get an idea if there is a problem with the resistors - there are 4 in there so you can compare readings - but don't expect to measure 100k when they are in-circuit. Replace all of the 100k resistors not just the ones you think have failed. It'll cost you a couple of pounds to buy the correct resistors.

Kevin

ps Where are you in the UK?