Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Scroller Colours

caxman

I have created a scroller and lamp fixture using Fixture Editor which has details of the filters used.

I installed it on FLX and they worked beautifully. Pressing the first wheel displayed a list of the colours and selecting one of the colours immediately set the scrollers as I needed. However switching the board off and then on again the next day this facility was no longer available. Installing the fixtures again put it right but switch off lost the faciity again. Even recording on USB would not load it again. Is this a fault or am I doing something wrong?

It shouldn't lose that information. I've built the same sort of fixture too for the same reasons.

What software version is on the FLX? 7.8.5?

In Setup -> System Settings, there is a Recovery Mode setting - what is that set to? (Not that it should make any difference!)

When you say "Recording on USB" do you mean you saved a show to USB and that wouldn't restore the function either? That sounds very weird...

Hmmm that's really weird. Even if the fixture is not on the desk before you reload the show, it should come back in with the showfile.

Can you still see the fixture profile available if you go into Setup->Patch Wizard?

When you load the showfile can you see the fixture is patched and still has a DMX address (Setup->Edit Fixtures ->Patch)?

Back to basics, if you do:

<Clear><Clear><type channel number of scroller><Enter><Colour>

does the middle button of encoder 1 not bring up your list of defined gel colours?

All these things check out. The scroller can still be addressed and it's colour changed by using the wheel as if the details are not there in the fixture profile. I'm wondering if something is slightly wrong in the fixture editing. But why does it work when first patched but not later?

This is a puzzle.

Thanks for the file. Unfortunately, having copied it onto a memory stick, I tried to load it into Phantom FLX and although the file shows in the root directory of the stick, the file was not visible to load. It will not load into Fixture Editor either. I took it this morning to the theatre and it is not visible to the desk either.

I attach my attempt at a file. Can you see anything wrong?

Scroller+Lamp.ift

Just had a look at your fixture.

It's very similar to mine, but with one important difference: in the Scroll Parameter Detail tab, whilst you've listed all of the DMX ranges and given them names, you haven't defined the RGB for each range.

For example on "Clear 130" you need to tick the "Colour Defined" box and set R=G=B=255 (then press "Replace").

Similar for Red 106, tick the Colour Defined box and set R=255, G=0, B=0 then press "Replace".

Do this for the rest of the colours. Then you should get those colours in the palette under the encoder button.

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks for that, Kevin. Have now done that and the colours come up instead of just the names. All worked well. Switched off and then switched on again and only the scroller value (0-100) comes on when selected. The pallette no longer appears when the wheel is pressed.

Could it be the "FIX" column in the editor?

Attached the revised fixture.

John

Scroller+Lamp.ift

OK, partial good news! :)

I really don't understand the desk not remembering the fixture, that makes no sense at all. I'm not aware there is anything in the fixture definition that would cause it to be lost!

I'll have a think, but that part has me stumped!

Your fixture definition looks good to me. Do you mean the "Fixed" tick box in the Details tab? I've no idea what that does - it's not ticked in my fixture profile and it's not explained in the Fixture Tools manual!

Kevin

Succeeded at last! I downloaded your file again, Kevin, but on my laptop instead of my main computer. It worked straight away. Comparing the two downloads together showed (although both were named the same), the new one was an "ift" file but the other was an "internet shortcut" file. I still don't know how your file and mine differ but I modified your file to my filters and it now works fine!

Many thanks for your help.

John

The only other difference I saw was that the constituent fixtures were defined the other way round. In mine the dimmer was parameter 2, in yours 1. I don't see how this should make any difference though!

Are you saying the desk is remembering the fixture now?

Good news anyway, we got there in the end!

Kevin