Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Faulty Beta Pack's V3

soakes94

So recently I've started to notice in most of my beta packs. I tend to use pre-heat on all the channels and recently the intensity of the pre-heat seems to be increasing, theres a difference between Beta packs and channels. The pre-heat intensity always is the same between outputs 1 & 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6.

I have 9 beta packs in total all with similar serial codes 8 out of the 9 have issues and it wouldn't surprise me if the other one started to develop similar issues. I have posted below each of the beta packs serial numbers and faults.

Dim 1 0030711 06420048

Channel 1 - High Preheat

Channel 2 - High Preheat

Channel 5 - Possible High Preheat

Channel 6 - Possible High Preheat

Dim 2 0030711 06420061

“Err” displayed

Channel 2 - When lamp plugged in it flickered briefly

Channel 6 - When lamp plugged in it flickered briefly

Dim 3 0030711 06420055

Channel 2 - When lamp plugged in it flickered briefly

Channel 3 - High Preheat

Channel 4 - High Preheat

Channel 5 - High Preheat

Channel 6 - High Preheat

Dim 4 0030711 06420054

Channel 1 - High preheat

Channel 2 - High Preheat

Dim 5 0030711 06420056

All good

Dim 6 0030711 06420053

Channel 1 - Possible High Preheat

Channel 2 - Possible High Preheat

Dim 7 0030711 06420084

Channel 5 - High preheat

Channel 6 - High Preheat

Dim 8 0030711 06420083

Channel 3 - High Preheat

Channel 4 - High Preheat

Dim 9 0030711 06420080

It seems to be the pre-heat level seems to creep up slowly. So at the start it was hardly noticeable but over time (a few months) the preheat gets brighter and brighter. All of these results are using the same light, same power output (they are portable not install) and were reset before doing this list.

I have a feeling from reading other posts that this is todo with the transformer or power board and a batch of faulty components however I wasn't sure so thought I should ask and see if anyone knows which serial numbers are affected.

Cheers
Stephen

Based on the serial numbers, all the dimmers have 2006 manufacture dates, think it is more likely that a component in the phase detection circuit may have started to break down.

For the ERR that sounds like a communication issue between the power PCB and the keypad, could be a link cable problem.

For the flickering channels, have the packs been serviced during their life span to check for loose spade for the coils, creep on sockets connections etc?

For the transformer issues that you have mentioned, the symptoms associated with this are different to what you have described. Our investigations have shown that this was limited a small batch of dimmers manufacture between late 2014 and early 2015.

PM me on the address below. It is worth getting one of the "preheat" dimmer back to us for assessment we can confirm what the issue is. Also can you confirm if the dimmers are running on three or single phase supply.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.