Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Backup scenario for ZerOS console

Sven76

Hi@all,

today I*d like to ask a question regarding a backup scenario for ZerOS consoles (in this case OrbXF):

I read, that you can unlock the Phantom software with a dongle to use phantom as a " tracking backup solution to the main desk.".

But how would that look like?

If my console would stop working, how could I continue my show with a PC or laptop? I guess only, if I use artnet with both, PC and console, right?

Any idea or hint is welcome as usual ;-)

Thank you and best regards

Sven

Hi Sven

My understanding is that the computer is connected to the same switch/hub as the console. The computer is put into "backup" mode then if the console fails the control of the show is taken over by the computer - no artnet required. I need to understand the definition of "console fail" as the backup computer would need to use the physical console universes? [see page 71 of the Solution User Manual]

Jon et-al: Is there a way I can play to further understand this?

Mike

But how could the computer take over the control in case of console failure (let*s say power-supply fails for instance)?

If the Console fails and there is no artnet involved, how could the Computer "output the show"? At least my PC does not have DMX universes. And even if it would have: You would need to merge the DMX wires from the console with the wires from the console to continue playback.

Best regards

Sven

The DMX control from computer during console failure was where my understanding lacked.

After speaking to Zero88, the DMX output from a computer would need either artnet or sacn interfaces. Artnet interfaces are available in 1, 2 or more universes.

Mike

Think you've worked it all out, but yes - in short:

The two devices are connected through a network (usually through some form of switch) which they communicate over to stay in sync and ensure that the other device is still working. The "Master" device can, if you choose, also output Art-Net or streaming ACN (sACN) over this same network, to one (or more) nodes on the network to convert back to DMX. If the "Master" device goes offline, the "Backup" device will detect this, and start outputting the Art-Net or sACN.

If the backup device is Phantom ZerOS running on a computer, then the Space Bar acts as the master GO button.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control