Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Possible Problem?

IJazzI

Hi yet again..

When I change a fixtures channel it doesn't work until I reboot the desk. I'm sure it used to! So say DMX 34 needs to be in channel 4. I change it but it stops working. If I put it back to channel 34 it will work again! This is in relation to normal legacy dimmed channels.

Also if I accidentally leave a keyboard or mouse connected the desk won't start up, it crashes and freezes on loading screen.

Hi,

Which Mouse and Keyboard are you using? Please can you give me the make and model? Also, what do you define as "crashes" and "freezes"? Can you explain exactly what you see please?

Regarding changing fixtures - there's a difference between moving fixtures to a new location (which currently only takes effect on a restart) and soft patching. So, in your example, instead of changing DMX address 34 to Channel 4, you change Channel 4 to DMX Address 34 - it's a subtle difference!

There's two ways to do this. One is via Syntax. Go into SETUP (so you're viewing the "Patch Overview" screen), and then use the syntax "4 @ 1.34" to change Channel 4 to Universe 1, Address 34. The second way is to go into "Edit Fixtures" and choose "Patch". Here you'll see all the fixtures, with their DMX addresses. You can choose any of these, touch the DMX Address button, and then change the address.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Ahhh. When I first worked it out I was doing it that way but somewhere I got confused and started moving fixtures instead.

The mouse and keyboard are any.. I've used whatever's to hand. Last night was a Dell keyboard and a Cherry mouse. A few days ago it was an HP non-media keyboard and a Dell mouse. When loading, the Z loading screen blurs and freezes, no loading bar appears and the logo is grainy for want of a better word. I'll try and upload a pic or email it next time.