Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Assigning a submaster as a chase speed control

Fireball40k

Jon,

It would also be a really useful feature to be able to assign a submaster as a chase speed controller. I have tried using the BEAT option to control chase speeds with the STEP button but it is really clunky, especially when you need to change the speed while the chase is visible. To my mind it would be so much easier if the position of a particular submaster was in control: 0% for static, 20% for 60bpm, 40% for 120bpm, etc. with smooth progressions between them.

Don't know how easily this would fit into the existing framework, perhaps an extra setting in the submaster Drive options and then the opportunity to assign a submaster, which then gets named in a particular way so that it's easy to recognise?

Failing that, what about allowing a control wheel to be used for this? - or the Override knob? Anything to get a smooth and predictable progression in chase speed that doesn't jump around all over the place!

Any chance of this making the to do list?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments, I've added them onto "Gemini" (our issue tracking software).

Out of interest, maybe you could expand on this comment:

I have tried using the BEAT option to control chase speeds with the STEP button but it is really clunky, especially when you need to change the speed while the chase is visible.

To me personally, a BMP button is much more useful than a fader to control speed, as it allows me to enter the speed to match any music etc that I might be keeping in time with. However, I'd like to hear more about your views?

Many thanks

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon,

When I used it for a show a couple of weeks ago, I found that when changing the changing speed, the chase often jumped as the second press of the STEP button was made. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of it. Here's how I think you should use it: Press once on the first beat and press it again on the second beat in order to set the pace? Well on that second press, that's when the chase output noticeably jumped.

Admittedly I didn't have a lot of time to practice this, but I found the results a little jarring at times.

Steve

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the comments, I've added them onto "Gemini" (our issue tracking software).

Out of interest, maybe you could expand on this comment:

To me personally, a BMP button is much more useful than a fader to control speed, as it allows me to enter the speed to match any music etc that I might be keeping in time with. However, I'd like to hear more about your views?

Many thanks

Jon

I just did a show where I needed a chase to start slow and get faster. It wasn't in time to music, it was an effect we were using for a flashback scene.