Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Midi via usb on a laptop

ChrisLucas

Hi

I'm looking into the possibility of driving our new FLX from my laptop via usb and a midi interface of some kind. For shows I use Multiplay which is a brilliant FREE show sound package and it has the option to control midi devices as it can send midi control codes.

I would like to trigger the master go button via these codes.

1. Is this possible?

2. What usb to midi convertor would I need?

Thanks in advance

Chris Lucas

Buckley Theatre Club

It is posible. From what i remember from a similar post if you use midi show control then this activates the master go. If you use midi time code then can activate a specific cue.

As for usb to midi i would say any will do providing it is transmiting the midi standard. I use a cheap usb to midi dongle i found on ebay to control our sound cues with no problems.

I hope this helps you a bit with getting your midi up and running.

Be careful of purchasing the cheaper cables. Have a look at this for more info:

http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-midi-cable-some-self-assembly-may-be-required/

We've found these cables often work with MIDI TimeCode (MTC) and MIDI Notes, but not with MIDI Show Control (MSC)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Keredyelesob and Jon

Thanks for the info. Good to know it should work.

I think I'll go for the Roland one mk2. It's a lot dearer but the reviews are much better. Only complaints were the price. I don't like some of the reviews on the cheap ones and the article you mentioned Jon was not clever. I can't be bothered tinkering with one just to make it work. Don't know how long it would last and I'd rather not take a chance with our new desk.

Cheers Both

Chris