Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Submaster Problem on FatFrog

robhurt

Hello

I am having a problem with intensity on submasters. On submaster 1-1 I have all generic fixtures, when I pull the fader down the intensity drops relative to the position of the fader.

On sub 1-2 I have some LED pars but when i pull the fader down the intensity does not drop, they remain at 100%! What am i doing wrong?

Rob

I think this is to do with the fact it's a Fat Frog (but if I fudge long enough - Jon will come along and set me straight) and the way that intensities and attributes are controlled.

If the LED's are defined as fixtures on your desk and they have a 'master dimmer' channel as part of the hardware in the LED then the software in the Frog will dim them as it would a dimmer. If the LED's are being used simply as a 3 channel dimmer with RGB then the Frog has no intensity to dim (as far as it's concerned - you have 3 somethings attached but they're not dimmers, so when you do things that you do with a dimmer - it leaves them alone).

There is the capability in the Fixture Editor to create virtual dimmer channels so that when using simple 3 channel fixtures - the desk can be fooled in to believing there is a master dimmer involved. However (and this is the part that's testing me) I don't believe that Virtual dimmers work on Fat Frogs (or Illusions) but only on Leap Frogs and newer.

I would look at the manual for your LED's and see if there's a mode of operation that can be used that has a Master Dimmer (or sometimes simply called 'dimmer') channel and then see if there's a fixture in the library for that mode (or ask Keith/Jon to build one for you).

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

However (and this is the part that's testing me) I don't believe that Virtual dimmers work on Fat Frogs (or Illusions) but only on Leap Frogs and newer.

That's correct Ian :-)

I would look at the manual for your LED's and see if there's a mode of operation that can be used that has a Master Dimmer (or sometimes simply called 'dimmer') channel and then see if there's a fixture in the library for that mode (or ask Keith/Jon to build one for you).

Definitely - hopefully there will be a four channel mode (or mode) that includes a dimmer channel. Let us know if there is (along with the make and model, or even better a user manual) and we'll get it created for you if it's not already in the library.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

To the OP:

Rob,

Does Ian's (excellent) explanation help/make sense? (Excellent piece of deduction there Ian if I may say).

Do you need help rebuilding your fixture profile to add a virtual intensity channel? In the first instance I'm sure Jon would help out if you can provide a pdf link to the manual for the fixture. If not, then there are a few of us on here who can put one together for you, or you could download the Fixture Editor from the Zero88 site (here: http://zero88.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/49/256/zero-88-fixture-tools---version-26) and build one yourself, it's quite straightforward.

Actually if your fixtures are pretty basic R, G and B LED pars, then there is almost certainly a RGB+virtual intensity in the Zero88 fixture library already.

Regards,

Kevin