Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Instructions to trigger software upgrade on an Ilusion 120.

JohnMac

Hi,

A quickie, I want to upgrade the software on my Illusion120 desk to version 7.5, and have the file "illusion.osf" on a floppy disk, 1.211KB

The manual is less than helpfull with " Full Instructions on how to upgrade the software in the desk will be provided with the upgrade disk", which are absent.

Please could you tell me what to do:-)

Kind regards

John Macgregor

From memory - the "illusion.osf" file must be the only file on the floppy disc. Fully insert it in to the drive and power up the desk - as part of it's boot routine - all Illusions check the floppy drive for this file and it's there will boot it rather than the internal disk image.

It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to complete and again (if memory serves) there is stuff output on the external monitor to show it's progress.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Thanks Iank99,

I did see the prompt when starting the desk up that it was looking at the disk drive, and one can hear it whirring, but system doesn't find file on the disk.

I suspect that I may have the faulty floppy disk drive issue, where the operating system can't read the disk.
Despite it claiming it has successfully completes a disk format.

Much appreciated you taking the effort to help.

Regards

John Mac.

Try formatting the floppy on a PC if you can find one with a drive - the Illusion may not be able to format a drive but it might be able to read one. I bought a USB Floppy drive to keep around (in spite of much laughter by my work colleagues) for just such occasions - the number of Fat Frogs we still see that need OS upgrades :)

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

• 1 year later...

I suspect that I may have the faulty floppy disk drive issue, where the operating system can't read the disk.

Despite it claiming it has successfully completes a disk format.

On my Illusion 500, I had this happen when trying to upgrade the software. I managed to get it to work by pressing down slightly on the edge of the inserted disk. I kept this slight pressure while rebooting the console, and it correctly read the disk and performed the update.