Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Zero 88 Dimmer connect over Cat5 to Zero88 ML24

Enchancher

Hello,

Ive got a problem in fact ive got a Chilli 12-10i +rcd dimmer for 12 ARRI Lamps. Now i want to connect the Dimmer to some Moving Lights but the dimmer has no DMX output only a DMX input but hes

got a cat 5 output for ChilliNet. Now my question is it possible to connect the dimmer to the moving lights if i use a dmx to cat5 converter? Because if this works not i have to use a second light console and i dont want this.

Thanks

No - you can't use a Cat5 converter - the Cat5 connector has CanBus signals on it and some of the data lines from the processor for updating firmware and doing diagnostics.

There isn't a DMX output inside the dimmer - all you need to do is remove the cover, get a cable inside neatly and terminate the cable on to the DMX In terminals. They're screw terminals so easy enough to get another set of cables in to :)

Edited by iank99

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

Could you explain your second part more precisely? @iank99

No - you can't use a Cat5 converter - the Cat5 connector has CanBus signals on it and some of the data lines from the processor for updating firmware and doing diagnostics.

There isn't a DMX output inside the dimmer - all you need to do is remove the cover, get a cable inside neatly and terminate the cable on to the DMX In terminals. They're screw terminals so easy enough to get another set of cables in to :)

The Chilli range of dimmers are installation dimmers so the terminals for all the connections that make it work are inside the unit. Doing so means that people who aren't sure what they're doing can't just plug stuff in (or unplug it).

If you take off the front cover of the unit and look below the keypad you will see the terminals for the external control signals..

The DMX terminals are the left set of four - to get DMX out of the dimmer, all you need to do is connect a cable to these terminals to carry the DMX Through.

This is all detailed in the manual for the Chilli dimmers :)

post-497-0-48380600-1433404817_thumb.jpg

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk