Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Disappointing

Ray

Well, after being quite impressed by the videos and the demo at Plasa Focus, have jumped in and bought one.

Having spent a couple hours with the desk we have found a few faults, but hopefully they will be fixed in the next update.

Short of some fixtures so it would be nice to have a program or App to make our own. And a MAC version of it...

We bought the iPad App, and disappointed to find there was no 'demo' mode and it will only work if you have a desk, a bit silly really as a FREE demo app would drive sales.

Very difficult to operate without a screen pugged in, and really needs a touchscreen, adds to cost.

Cannot get it to speak to Polar Capture.

Would be nice to have more tutorial videos. . .

Hi Ray,

I'm sorry to hear you've faced problems... please could you drop me a personal message with your contact details and when would be convenient to call you tomorrow, and we'll go through the problems you've been having. We can update the software for you at the same time. Until then, here are a few replies to specific comments:

Most of the fixtures we have are not in the fixture file for a kick off , I requested these last week before we ordered the desk but none have appeared yet.

Which fixtures do you require? Who have you requested them from? I've been making fixture files today and have finished all the outstanding requests as far as I'm aware. We can easily make the fixture files you need for you, or there's free software for you to make them yourself. Found your post on the forum now - sorry, not sure why that one got missed. We'll work on it tomorrow morning.

We even bought the iPad App, only to find there was no 'demo' mode and it will only work if you have a desk, a bit silly really as a FREE demo app would drive sales.

The app works as a remote monitor for the console, so unless we included the whole of ZerOS within the app, there wouldn't be a way of doing this.

All the best,

Jon

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Ray,

we've also bought the FLX and i can understand your point of view. The software delivered with the FLX is a early build i think.

But please give Jon a try to update your desk. The latest software (not released yet) is much better in my opinion although it's a beta.

We've compared several desks of other manufacters - we've found nothing better concerning features and quality for this price.

If and only if zero88 is doing their job to improve the software, FLX is a good choice.

If and only if zero88 is doing their job to improve the software, FLX is a good choice.

We are! New software will be released shortly, and we have two more releases of software that we've started on for after that, bringing additional features such as a blind mode, additional chase options etc

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

It's also worth bearing in mind folks that whilst the software on FLX is ZerOS - the processor and internal architecture of the desk have no resemblance to the Solution and Orb range processors & mainboards (apart from having Zero88 screen printed on them).

The processing power of the ARM made it relatively easy for Jon and his team to port ZerOS over and have it work with the control surfaces but now they're had reaction from FLX's launch and folk are piling in with feature requests, they're working on using the internal architecture (and the additional processor cores that are as yet unused) to do this and still keep the desk responsive.

The pace of development is about inline with what I remember from GeniusPro when it first appeared on the 430 - the first 6 months, we updated the software about 6 times as bugs and features were enabled on the desk we'd bought.

Nowadays of course, Jon has an easier job of getting updates out because of more folk having broadband (no more screeching modems for 900K downloads!) - he's not going to rest easy until it's doing what he wants and how you want it to - he's just that sort of person...

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk