Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Thanks for the demo

Lufferov

It was great to meet Mark today for a demo of the FLX, got to see a lot more of what the desk was capable of. The Rem Dim function and Highlight will both be very useful features for me on the UDKs!

We still had a question about inhibits, it's always useful when you have a show and one of your scrollers or moving lights go rogue. Setting an inhibit to disable that channel (or range of channels) on a playback is a lifesaver in those circumstances. I also like to set up an inihibit for all my FOH fixtures, so when tabs are used I can just use my inhibit fader to take out any FOH lamps that are on.

It would be nice to see an option in the Playback fader setup page to make that fader an inhibit for whatever channels are stored in it.

I think Mark has a few other queries we left him with that even I can't remember now :-) Actually, one of them was that I couldn't find a way to use RGB on the encoders, it only seemed to have CMY values, but the LED fixture we had patched was RGB. I wasn't able to record the RGB and intensity parameters to seperate playbacks for colour ming via the faders.

Also, something I forgot to bring up was fixtures with multiple colour attributes. For example, an LED block with 4 cells that has one master intesity but 4 different individually contolled colour cells. Or something like a Q-Wash 419Z that has two outer rings and an inner ring (3 zones on LED control). How does the FLX handle those? Does each zone still need to be patched as an individual fixture? Or have you come up with a solution to this now?

But overall, despite the queries I am really impressed with the desk!

It would be nice to see an option in the Playback fader setup page to make that fader an inhibit for whatever channels are stored in it.

Yep, we're working on this - it's coming!

... I couldn't find a way to use RGB on the encoders, it only seemed to have CMY values, but the LED fixture we had patched was RGB. I wasn't able to record the RGB and intensity parameters to seperate playbacks for colour ming via the faders.

If you press SETUP+COLOUR together, you can choose between CMY or RGB - this allows you to choose which colour mixing space you prefer, no matter what the fixture is.

Also, something I forgot to bring up was fixtures with multiple colour attributes. For example, an LED block with 4 cells that has one master intesity but 4 different individually contolled colour cells. Or something like a Q-Wash 419Z that has two outer rings and an inner ring (3 zones on LED control). How does the FLX handle those? Does each zone still need to be patched as an individual fixture? Or have you come up with a solution to this now?

Currently, you can patch them as separate fixtures or have all the colour attributes on the encoders. However, we'll be moving over to a new Fixture Library (which will be a free software update) which will give you much better control over these fixtures.

But overall, despite the queries I am really impressed with the desk!

I'm really happy that you were impressed with the console. Those little extras you're looking for will come soon :-)

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

If you press SETUP+COLOUR together, you can choose between CMY or RGB - this allows you to choose which colour mixing space you prefer, no matter what the fixture is.

Is this a desk wide setting or fixture specific? For example, what if I have a bunch of RGB pars in my rig mixed with a few MAC Quantum fixtures with CMY? Will I be able to get CMY encoders with the Qantum and RGB with the LED Pars?

At the moment it's desk wide so the user only has to "think" in one colour space, rather than having to switch between RGB and CMY for different fixtures - we do all the calculations for you.

Jon Hole

Just to let you know, we placed an order for a FLX today. You'll probably be hearing from me a lot more in the future... sorry :-)

That's great news - and you don't need to apologise - that's why we're here :-)

Jon Hole

It arrived today, one of the first things I noticed is that there is no command line when the external monitor isn't connected. The monitor is still on order so we were just using the desk, it's really confusing when you can't see the command line!

Is there a setting or a "view" I need to use to see it?

Hi Lufferov,

In our latest software we've enabled the command line on the internal display.

If you email me, I can send you across a copy of this if it's helpful (we've not released it yet).

Regards

Jon

Jon Hole

Hi Jon,

I'll drop you an email later.

In the mean time, I have a question about FXs. On the Frog 48 I could use the "Rainbow" effect over several fixtures and by default they all changed colour together. However by using "Shift + Offset" it would stagger the colours, I couldn't seem to do that yesterday. Am I doing something wrong?

Finally I have the ZerOS remote installed on my phone, but my colleague couldn't find it on the Android app store and when I checked, I can't see it either. Where's it gone?

Regards

Could I be right that this is the Wheel mode fan setting...? I used to have similar issue just a couple of weeks ago on Solution, where I found out that in [setup+Effects] I had Shifted wheel mode set wrong. Try to see what you have set up at Normal wheel mode, and what on Shifted wheel mode. Hope this helps...

Thanks cucolino!

I've got the same problem and in my case fan first is set for shifted wheel mode. But when holding shift and moving the wheel, the value doesn't change at all. Using zerOS 7.8.2.7.

In our latest software we've enabled the command line on the internal display.

Is there an option to see the hints for next commands as on the other zerOS desks?

Are you actually outputting something / looking at DMX output window, or just on the wheel screens? Is it possible, that the wheel screens are showing just the first fixture's value, and therefore seems "locked", while other fixtures actually do get the change...? You could see this in DMX Output window...

I'm not currently at the desk, but will check later if the screens keeps only first fixure's level, and therefore seems "locked" in Fan-First mode...

Or else, try setting to Fan-Middle mode, and see what that shows you on screen...

In "Fan first" mode, the first fixture does not get the change in the value (its locked). Meanwhile, the change in others increase/decrease for a higher difference, like Fix2 gets +x, Fix3 gets +2x, Fix4 + 3x etc...

For more info, check the manuals here http://zero88.com/manuals/im9210%20-%20solution%20manual%20issue%201.0.pdf at page 85 and 86, where you have tables of Fan modes explained.

The manuals for FLX seems to not exist yet, so I pointed a link to Solution's manual, but this should be the same...

Hope that helps.

I'm glad I helped.

Are you looking on the internal LCD?
If it's ZerOS, I'm pretty sure there is, but it's most probably only visible on the external display though.

Don't take me for granted, as I don't have one sitting in front of me, so I'm only speaking from my knowledge generally about ZerOS software... ;)

There is the output window on the external monitor i've connected, but there are no buttons for configuration or dmx output window as on the other zerOS desks.

It's a step backwards that they removed all the nice windows and the desktop concept on FLX. There is even no way to get a preview of a cue/playback as far as i can see... :(

It is true. The FLX console is missing some windows like DMX output and blind mode. Jon has commented in another thread about this, confirming blind mode will be getting put into Zeros for the FLX but has not confirmed about DMX output (zeros on FLX is quite a bit different to Zeros found on their other desks ). I to agree this is a good feature and is a step back to remove such views. The post about views is here.

http://zero88.com/forum/topic/7132-where-is-it-in-the-product-line/#entry27894

Hi All,

Sorry for my delay in replying to these comments. Looks like you've solved the main problem regarding offsetting effects, which is great - you're right that the LCD only shows the first fixture, so when using "fan first", it appears the first one isn't changing.

Is there an option to see the hints for next commands as on the other zerOS desks?

We're looking at bringing this feature back over to FLX in time.

Maybe @Jon could comment on this one... ?

(regarding views).

As you've correctly mentioned, ZerOS on FLX is considerably different to ZerOS on other consoles. For starters, it's been rewritten for an ARM processor. Over time, we'll release more and more features, but we're not going to simply port over exactly the same interface as on an ORB, as that wouldn't be the right thing to do for the FLX console or the user base we've aimed the console at. FLX is aimed at saving the user time and being super intuitive, whilst also having a large feature set, including functions not seen before. Having to setup displays and navigate through windows doesn't achieve that aim, so we're working on a better way to get to things like cue previews and DMX windows.

Jon Hole

Thanks for the link and confirmation, @keredyelesob. Though, Jon there wrote that the external screen has 2 limited layouts due to the fact that "everything else is accessible via internal screen". If DMX window is completely gone, than that is really a bid down vote for the FLX console! :/

Also, I don't quite get the sentence:

There are 241 playbacks on the FLX- that's significantly more than the Solution (technically an increase of 24000%!!!).

Anyone dare to comment what this means? How is 241 24000% more than on the solution? AFAIK, solution has 200 subs + 1000 memories. Aren't the latest playbacks..?

Edit: (per Jon's latest reply)

Cool to know these things. Though, I kinda hoped (and still do) you would at least implement something like "Advanced view" mode, where everything would be accessible for advanced users as well. Having just the "basic" mode, because the desk is aimed for more "easy users" (if I may express myself this way), doesn't seem like a fair point for any other users that look up to upgrade to a newer product... I for one would love to get the mini touchscreen as well as the syntax, as an upgrade to the Solution. But, with such limitations, I don't think I'd be happy with such upgrade, so... Looking forward for any changes! :)

Also, I don't quite get the sentence:

There are 241 playbacks on the FLX- that's significantly more than the Solution (technically an increase of 24000%!!!).

Anyone dare to comment what this means? How is 241 24000% more than on the solution? AFAIK, solution has 200 subs + 1000 memories. Aren't the latest playbacks..?

The Solution has a single playback (called a memory stack on Solution). Submasters are very limited in what they can be - they can each have a single state, whereas FLX can have 241 playbacks, each with multiple cues present. This makes programming for both theatre and busking much more flexible and easier.

Jon Hole

The Solution has a single playback (called a memory stack on Solution). Submasters are very limited in what they can be - they can each have a single state, whereas FLX can have 241 playbacks, each with multiple cues present. This makes programming for both theatre and busking much more flexible and easier.

Oh, all right! I believe I missed the work "simultaneously" in there, correct?