Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Wide and 2 preset mode changed?

cucolino

I don't get it.

From manual:

48 faders controls 24 channels in two preset mode and 48 channels in wide mode.

In practice:
In wide mode I get 24 channels, working in HTP mode, where I can crossfade between the setup from Faders A to Faders B and backwards as I want.
In Two preset mode, I get 48 channels, where I can crossfade between currently active preset and stored preset (which was stored when the preset control button was pressed).

When did this change? It took me quite some time to figure out what is going on...
Is this behaviour expected?

What version of zeros are you running?

i have just checked one of my desks running zeros 7.8.2 and it works as it always has (As described in the manual) 2 preset gives you 24 preset fader channels in two banks,A and B. And when in wide mode you get 48 fader channels (banks A and B combined) this mode you have to store your preset in the console memory ready to cross fade Into.

You could try resetting the desk in the clear options to see if that rectors the function back.

Hope that helps. If not let me know the version and i will try on my desk again.

I'm running 7.8.1.25

It's first time I ever used more than 20 analog faders, as I have most of things usually patched at MFK, and call through submasters (this is due to Clear clearing faders too, which I don't fancy, jumping from Avolites to ZerOS and back quite often...)

The thing is: at Two preset mode (LEDs on Preset control button active), I seem to have available 48 channels, 24 on faders A, and 24 on faders B. Even if Master B is on 0, faders on B do work as if they were regular analog faders. Master A DOES affect them.
At the same time, if I press "preset control" button, to change to the "B Faders, A stored" mode, it seems like whole image of 48 faders is stored as "Cue A", and I get to create another, "Cue B" image, which can than be activated via crossfade of Master A and master B faders...

Meanwhile, when in Wide mode, the Preset control button is disabled, and I get only 24 channels active, on both, A and B faders at the same time! Fader B1..B24 controls same channel as Fader A1..24.... The one that has higher value is used for setting output value ( HTP mode).

In this mode - wide mode - , the master A and master B faders work as intended. Master A controls group of A faders, master B group of B faders. So I can crossfade between scene set on faders A and scene set on faders B.

Is this how this should work?

From manual, and from your comment, I'd say it's just the opposite.

Anyway, main question at this time:
Is there any way / setting on the console, so that I can get 48 faders, completely independent from any storing on the desk?
Like, I'm ok with having A and B masters to be masters of A and B faders, like in my "Wide" mode, I'd just like to have 48 channels control.

Thanks!

*feelingdumb*

Hi, this behaviour may, or maynot have been a bug in v7.8.1 I have never really tried this but for clarity i can check tomorrow.

Regarding your last point.

If you go into [settings] and select [desk setup] then select [behaviour] and under [preset mix mode] select htp. This will stop the preset faders being cleared from the programmer when the clear button is pressed twice. But please note that if you record a memory or sub then it will also record the preset values (depending what mode your desk is in will depend how it will record the presets) i think the main point is they are not independent of the programmer but will always take htp priority.

It may be worth installing the latest software as some bugs have been fixed and i can definitely tell you that wide mode operates as wide mode in the new version.

Hope this helps.

Thank you. I'd be glad if you could check this, if nothing else, just to confirm if it's a bug or am I missing a point somewhere....

Thank you also for the hint on LTP/HTP behaviour. Never really checked that... Handy :)

New software... well, I'm not sure I'm gonna stay on this one anyway, I'll most probably jump back to 7.7, as I just read that LCD refresh was not solved just yet anyway, so...

But don't want to experiment too much at least until I get this show done, so... I'm gonna stick to current version at least for a week or so...

Thanks so far.
Cheers!

Hi I have just restored to V7.8.1.25 and tested the two modes on my desk and the behavior does not change. wide mode still uses all 48 dimmers 1-1 and preset mode uses two banks of 24 dimmers 1-1. same as described in the manual. i would try installing Zeros again.

just a side note you do know that V7.8.1.25 is a beta version. also don't know if it is of any use to you but i have been using the latest Zeros V7.8.2 and have had no problems with refresh rates. although i have not used DMX in.

Cheers

So, to clarify: in Wide mode, your bottom ( B) faders control channels 25 to 48, not 1-24???

Yes thats right :)

And you basically have 2 separate "grandmasters", one for channels 1-24, and one for 25-48, is that correct?

No. Both master A,B faders control the intensity for channels 1-48. (what master fader controls physical output depends what mode the preset control button is in) but in a nutshell the preset master faders control all manual channels 1-48 they do not split them into the two banks.

hope i make sense on the last point.

Hi Both,

keredyelesob - thanks for providing the support here, everything you say is what we would have said too!

cucolino - i strongly suggest not using the Beta software. We've had loads of users tell us 7.8.2 is a great improvement. One forum member has said their console is slower than they would like - but we're treating that as a one off issue and waiting to receive showfiles so we can look into it further.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

@keredyelesob -> I don't quite get you now. Your last paragraph says that A, B faders controls 1-48 -> which is wide mode, -> then you said that what master depends on the mode the preset control is in -> by "mode" you mean wide or 2-preset, or A or B mode...?

I think the easiest/clearest way to solve this will be if I make a short video.

@Jon, I have to say, I gave 7.8.2 yesterday a try, but, after having a few issues with the installer itself, once finally booted in, it is still slower than 7.7... :/ No showfile loaded, empty desk...

Ok i think the best way to explain wide mode is to first eplain that in wide mode you treat the preset A and B fader banks as one collective bank controlling 1-48.

By default when you first enter wide mode master A fader controls the master intensity of all 48 faders. Master B controls the stored preset values (curently none are stored). Now if you press the preset control button (just below the master A,B faders) this will now toggle the bank of 48 preset faders to be controlled by master B fader. But at the same time any values you had already set when master A fader was active are still stored under master A. This effectively allows you to cross fade over 48 channels.

For egexample.

GO into wide mode

move both master A and B faders to the top most position (Master a at 10 and master b at 0 )

now bring up preset 1,2,25,26 you will see this output.

now press the preset control button to toggle the preset faders to the B master (B is at 0 so these new values will get stored by the desk)

No lower preset 1,25

bring up preset 23,24,47,and 48.

note the output of the desk has not changed (this is because these new values are associated with master B )

now slide master A and B down together you will see the scene you set in master A crossfade into the new scene in master b.

to continue you would press the preset control button again to associate the preset faders with master A again and now you would set your third scene ready for the cross fade.

Hope this clears things up. Try the above example on your desk it should make sense if you try it rather than just reading it.