Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

FLX Lighting Console - Introduction & Overview

Jon Hole

errr... anyway is there any guide on building user library for FLX that support Color palate which define ready in Console? I try to pick color but it's not active... I can use only effect palette! and Copy method not work also...

Hi Johnny

Have a read through Fixture Editor User Guide PDF available on this link:

http://zero88.com/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/49/

Specifically look at the "Parameter Details" on Page 5.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Johnny,

You define colour palettes on the desk for the "look" of one or more selected fixtures. You don't define a colour palette for a fixture in the fixture definition.

If a fixture has a "colour macro" channel that automates colour production by a fixture, then that is a property of the DMX support on a fixture (where you can provide a breakdown in the Detail tab of a colour attribute in the Fixture Editor tool). A (colour) palette is a function of the desk when building "looks" from a lighting rig.

Once you've loaded the fixture into FLX and patched it, then in Colour, tap the "Generate auto palettes" (or something like that) button - you might have to scroll down the screen. You should then get some colour palettes that FLX thinks it can apply to the capabilities of the fixtures you have patched. Note I find myself that not all palettes work on all fixtures - have a click around the colour palettes to see which will actually apply to the fixture group you currently have selected (i.e. the set of fixtures with orange boxes around their channel numbers).

Hope that helps clarify...

Regards,

Kevin

Jon - should this get split out from the "FLX Introduction/Overview" topic to a separate topic?

Hi Johnny,

You define colour palettes on the desk for the "look" of one or more selected fixtures. You don't define a colour palette for a fixture in the fixture definition.

If a fixture has a "colour macro" channel that automates colour production by a fixture, then that is a property of the DMX support on a fixture (where you can provide a breakdown in the Detail tab of a colour attribute in the Fixture Editor tool). A (colour) palette is a function of the desk when building "looks" from a lighting rig.

Once you've loaded the fixture into FLX and patched it, then in Colour, tap the "Generate auto palettes" (or something like that) button - you might have to scroll down the screen. You should then get some colour palettes that FLX thinks it can apply to the capabilities of the fixtures you have patched. Note I find myself that not all palettes work on all fixtures - have a click around the colour palettes to see which will actually apply to the fixture group you currently have selected (i.e. the set of fixtures with orange boxes around their channel numbers).

Hope that helps clarify...

Regards,

Kevin

Jon - should this get split out from the "FLX Introduction/Overview" topic to a separate topic?

Thank ​kgallen...

Even I'm not clear on what you explain but I will try n I referred to the original Fixture Libraries ​I downloaded from here.. I will test in fixture builder. It could be Spacial tab that involve to Color value from 0 to 255 CYM....

Thank ​kgallen...

Even I'm not clear on what you explain but I will try n I referred to the original Fixture Libraries ​I downloaded from here.. I will test in fixture builder. It could be Spacial tab that involve to Color value from 0 to 255 CYM....

Are you trying to define colour pallets for your fixture profile so that the FLX desk will auto generate them? if you are then you do this using the red, green, blue values found in the details tab of the parameter, you do need to tick the 'colour defined check box' first.

Note: this will only work for individual parameters (colour wheel, colour macro). if you are using a RGB or CYM fixture the desk will work this out automatically providing you use the tribute and special fields.

also note the red, green, blue values that you set here are only used for the desk to display a little colour sample on the parameter button nothing more,

Jon, Could you confirm what FLX does with the R, G and B values entered in the fixture details. Is this just for the colour sample, or does the desk use the values to try and match colours between palettes and pre-defined fixture colours?

Thanks,

Kevin

Don't know if this helps answer that question but when i have used this in the past the desk matches the colours between pallets (if the value is the same), but it does also generate a new pallet.

For instance if you have red set (R255,G0,B0) on your custom fixture this will match it to the same red used for LED fixtures but it also creates a second red pallet that will do exactly the same. (not sure if this is a bug but it has never caused me a problem so never looked into it any further)

Dear...

I found the trick... In color Palette can adjust color coz the fixture library has define the CMY at Special tab (Cyan-Positive, Magenta....). and for color wheel i'm not sure that when I touch the Color Name Upper Encoder Wheels It shows me the Details I define in Library Builder so I can use it as Color Palette...

How do you think?

Anyway most of thing I want to run play back as Cue list with Time code... how to do it?

Hi Johnny,

It looks like you've got your fixture colours and palettes sorted, great!

For timecodes, maybe take a look at the Cue Settings field in your cue stack window (e.g. Playback 0).

For a given cue, if you use the arrow keys to move right to the Cue Settings field, then <Enter> you should get a Cue Settings window where I believe you can set MIDI timecode (or realtime).

Kevin