Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Chasing RGBW LED Fixtures

ItsMyNaturalColour

Hi, I've just installed the latest version of ZerOS and updated the fixture library to release 28. I noticed that my Starville CX-1 RGBW Pars have been added, so I've been experimenting with them as fixtures instead of just operating them from the preset faders.

I'm enjoying the added functionality so far but I'm really struggling with chases. When I program a chase, all steps are absolutely fine and behave correctly apart from the first step. Say for instance I program a chase that follows like this;

Step 1 = Red

Step 2 = Blue

Step 3 = Green

When I run the above chase, the display shows the chase stepping through the steps, but when step 1 is displayed, red is not outputting. Nothing is outputting. Really long chases run great with no problems, but number 1 never works. If I delete step 1, step 2 adopts the same issue. Note that 'step 1' of the chase does not show any value in the output window either.

I program my chases by highlighting the existing sub / memory, pressing record and selecting "turn into chase". I've changed from CMY to RGB control. All other settings look fine.

I'm pressing the 'clear' button twice after programming each step.

It's probably important to mention that this isn't colour specific. For example, I have 4 PARs. If I create a chase as follows;

Step 1 = PAR 1 RGB@ 100% (home)

Step 2 = PAR 2 RGB@ 100% (home)

Step 3 = PAR 3 RGB@ 100% (home)

Step 4 = PAR 4 RGB@ 100% (home)

the same thing happens. Step 1 will not output.

I've tried the desk in all 3 operating modes and I believe it behaves in the same way.

As a side note, what is the best operating mode to use? All I want is simple programming "what you see ouputting is whats recorded" for LED fixtures and standard movers (Mac 250 or whatever).

Huge thanks for your help, fairly new ZerOS user so forgive me if I'm missing something.

Tom

Hi Tom,
I've sent you an email regarding the chase issue.

As a side note, what is the best operating mode to use? All I want is simple programming "what you see ouputting is whats recorded" for LED fixtures and standard movers (Mac 250 or whatever).

Probably nontracking mode in that case. I'm happy to give you a call and go through the different modes if that's helpful. Or alternatively, you could come to one of our free training sessions - we've rebranded the Leap Frog 48 to the Solution now, but they work in exactly the same way: zero88.com/training

Huge thanks for your help, fairly new ZerOS user so forgive me if I'm missing something.

No problem! Keep playing, and keep asking questions - it's the best way to learn!

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control