Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

the Clear Button

ziglight

hello

the way the clear-button works is okey for some users and not okey for others and I guess it will never be satisfying for ALL users

in OS 7.7 it works in one way and now in 7.8 it works in the opposite way... some love it - and others hate it....

personally I love the combination "clear+memory" and also "clear+submaster" which is very useful and which I use very often in Live-Work-flow (but don't love that much that in 7.8 now the selection is cleared first.. found it better before to clear programmer first and selection only on the second hit... but anyway its just a question to get used to it..!! and if this has been changed , that is because a majority may have claimed it, I guess !)

so why not get another combination for example "clear+fixtures" to clear the fixture-selection and "clear" alone for clearing the programmer (example : one hit => UNDO for the last action et double-hit => empty the programmer....

or maybe "clear+PGM-Wind" for clearing the programmer and "clear" alone for clearing the selection

anyway it would be better to get the choice what is cleared exactly

actually one hit on the clear button always clears the selection and to empty the "programmer" (= second hit) the selection is also ALWAYS cleared (..and sometimes this is not what we want it to work....)

Hi Ziglight,

I've actually just replied to a similar question in the beta test forum. As not everyone who views this will be able to view the beta forum, here's a copy of what I said.

(Obviously there are three requests now, not the two I said in the post below!).

Hi,

This was a feature that was requested by quite a few people, and has had really great feedback since we swapped them around. I think this is only the second time someone has asked for them to be switched back.

The Clear button is a fundamental button on the console, and there were a lot of discussions on whether switching it's functionality was the right thing to do, as so many people are used to the way it currently works. However, we decided that the positives outweighed the negatives.

The switch was also an additional safety net, as people pressed the clear button by accident, and lost all the information in their programmer.

During this process, we discussed having a user switch-able option, but the problem here is user familiarity. If this gets switched, and a programmer doesn't realise, they can loose quite a lot of work by pressing the button expecting it to do one thing, and actually doing something quite different.

However, I do understand why you have a requirement to clear the programmer, but keep the selection of fixtures. Maybe there's another way we could add this functionality without affecting anything else? For example, maybe SHIFT+CLEAR could clear the programmer, but keep the fixture selection?

We're definitely open to ideas - so have a think about what would work for you, and probably others too, without affecting any functionality we already have, and we'll see if we can implement it.

Best regards

Jon

Let me know your thoughts...

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

However, I do understand why you have a requirement to clear the programmer, but keep the selection of fixtures. Maybe there's another way we could add this functionality without affecting anything else? For example, maybe SHIFT+CLEAR could clear the programmer, but keep the fixture selection?

We're definitely open to ideas - so have a think about what would work for you, and probably others too, without affecting any functionality we already have, and we'll see if we can implement it.

yessss !!

SHIFT+CLEAR is a very good idea to get Clear-options...

or as I sad : CLEAR+FIXTURES to clear the selection and : CLEAR once as an UNDO of the last action and CLEAR twice for clearing the programmer (for me personally the best way ... but I am not alone !!)

maybe creating a special poll-thread for this with vote-options would be a good idea ??

although doing a lot of live work I still like the option to clear the programmer without the fixture selection.
I agree with that....

• 2 months later...