Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Betapack 1 channels 5&6 not working

I am an electrician and have just started to help out at a local hall. They have a few betapack 1's and all seemed fine until recently we lost channels 5&6 on one of the sets. The fuses are ok, neither channel works on the test button, i swapped triacs with Ch 2&3 but still 5&6 only do not work.

Any advice on what to try next would be great, as mentioned I am an electrician, but have only basic electronic knowledge

When you say that you 'lost' them - are they simply not lighting up with a load connected or do the loads switch full on when you plug them in?

There is a relatively common (and simple) fault with Beta 1's that centres around channels 3&4 plus channels 5&6, however I would suggest that you find someone with some electronics knowledge (because to solve it involves dismantling the rack to get where you need to solder) or a friendly Zero88 service centre.

If it is this fault, then it would be worth having all the racks serviced as sooner or later, the others will exhibit the same problem.

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk