Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

24 - 48

jayartibee

No, the desk actually outputs 48 distinct DMX addresses, which (unless you've repatched) are usually 1-48 which correspond to the faders on the front panel.

In 'normal' mode - the faders control 1-24 over two presets but in wide mode faders 25-48 control channels 25 upwards. I don't believe (but Jon will leap in and correct me if I'm wrong) that there is a way of reducing the channel count on screen. In theory - you might still have channels running off DMX 25-48 via an aux, so it would be nice to see them running?

Ian Knight aka The Service Guy - www.serviceguy.co.uk

You just set the state and record it - it's one of the nice things about the Jester and Solution (and the Frog range before them) that you're not constrained to using a specific preset to program memories.

The only thing you need to aware of is that the Faders always affect the output of the desk, so if you have a memory playing back - then the faders will also affect what you see on stage.

If you look at the right hand end of the flash buttons for "Preset B" you'll see a "Page B" with two LED indicators next to it. In Preset Mode - by default (I think) the indicator labelled "1-24" should be lit which shows that Preset B is operating channels 1-24, if you press the button once, then the indicator changes to "25-48" which shows that Preset B is now controlling channels 25-48.

In Program Mode, you use the "Page A" button to the right of the Preset A flash buttons to select the channels controlled by the faders in the same way. The "Page B" button in Program mode selects which page of submasters you will save in to i.e Page 1 of 1-24 or Page 2 of 25-48 if you're recording scene/submaster memories.

When you're in Program Mode, if you have scenes recorded on to faders then when you move the fader up on Preset B - any channels recorded in that scene will get added to the outputs of the desk alongside whatever you set using the Preset A faders.

It's also worth remembering that the highest of the two levels for a channel will take precedence e.g. if you have channel 6 recorded at 65% in submaster 6 and then set Fader (A)6 to 45% - moving submaster 6 will cause channel 6 to go higher if you move it to "full". In some respects - this part of trying the desk needs to be done with a dimmer and a couple of lanterns connected.

Hopefully that makes sense? The manual is a bit obtuse around this side of things but from bits I hear - it's on the list of "To Do's" at Zero.