Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Zero 88 Fixture Library Release 26

Jon Hole

Zero 88 Fixture Library Release 26

For full information, please visit: http://zero88.com/software/library

This release contains 3637 fixtures from 209 different manufacturers. For a list of fixtures in the library please click here.

The library is released in 2 formats:

• a full unfiltered version for desks running ZerOS software (ORB Series, Solution series, Frog 2 and Leap Frog 48 & 96).
  • a smaller filtered version for other Zero 88 desks. This removes data that is not used by these other desks, so that the file is smaller. When using a floppy disk (original Frog series, Illusion500) it is recommended that the floppy disk be freshly formatted before copying the library onto it.

Download & Installation
The correct format of the library for your desk can be downloaded by clicking the product name below.

The library (.ift file) should be placed in the root directory of the floppy disk or USB stick.

ZerOS desks (ORB Series, Solution series, Frog 2 and Leap Frog 48 & 96)
The latest fixture library is automatically installed on the desk as part of each operating software update, however this can be updated from USB if required in Setup -> Files -> Update Fixture File.

JesterML & JesterTL
The fixture library is installed on the desk at manufacture, however this can be updated from USB if required in Setup -> Update Fixture Lib -> Update Library.

Frog Series and Illusion 500
Use 'Common Fixture Manager' (included in the Fixture Tools download) to select the fixtures you wish to use, and save this as a file to a floppy disk.

Diablo
The fixture library is used with the Diablo Fixture Manager PC software.

Sirius 250/500
Use the Fixture Type Editor to import fixture types from the fixture library, and then use the ‘Export Sirius UFT’ function (under the ‘File’ menu) to generate data in the correct format for the Sirius 250/500.

Further details of assigning fixtures on the desk to fixture types in the fixture library can be found in each desk’s operating manual.

Additional Fixtures
If you need a fixture type which is not in the library, then you can create this yourself using the Fixture Type Editor. If you post a link to the manufacturers datasheet on the forum, we will endeavour to add the fixture in the next library release.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi gdrlighting,

Doh! I've copied the instructions from an earlier version of the fixture library - I'll update those instructions now.

You need to download our fixture tools and use the 'Common Fixture Manager' to select just the fixtures you wish to use, and save this file to floppy disk.

Regards

Jon

Jon Hole

Hi Jon,

Thanks, I have already done this. I work in many different venues, some having house lights that I have no idea what I'm getting into until I walk in the door. Would there be any way to split this file into 2 file so I could take them all with me? It's really hard to drag my PC with me out on gigs! I get the strangest looks when I ask if anyone has a PC with a floppy drive. LOL

Thanks in advance.

Hi gdrlighting, do you have a laptop? There are several USB floppy disk drives that are still available and much more convenient than carrying around a full PC! Also, several customers have had success updating FROG consoles with a USB emulator so they can use USB sticks instead

Jon Hole

Jon,

I had not thought of the USB floppy drives. Yes I have a lap top and no I don't drag my pc out on gigs! LOL! My last frog croked shortly after I installed an USB floppy emulator so I am not real eager to try that again! I have 3 Fat Frogs (2 working and 1 dead {croked}) and a Leap Frog so I was trying not to buy 3 more emulators or USB floppys! I just thought I would be a no brain 'er for the Zero 88 team to make this into 2 files. I guess I am thinking like an owner and think I see a smarter way to get things done that spending more of my hard earned money. I'll be the 1st to admit that I am computer stupid. I guess it is not so easy to make file 1 MFG's A-M, and file 2 MFG's N-Z?

Hi

We run Macs at work so we cannot use the fixture tools library to slim down to the fixtures we need. Could you either remove some fixtures so it fits on a floppy disk or could you provide a permanent link to the last fixture library that fitted on floppy disk. This is a pretty fundamental error considering it's even recommended for disk use.

Thanks, Tom

Apologies for my rather short reply earlier as I was at work and in disbelief that a fixture library supplied for a desk series that only has floppy disk doesn't fit on a floppy disk. Really it would be user friendly if this could fit on without needing the fixture table editing by end users. Hard to tell which fixtures could be removed so maybe could you just host a permanent copy of the last stripped library that did fit on disk as an alternate download as that would at least be a 'get out of jail free' card for most uses.

I guess it is not so easy to make file 1 MFG's A-M, and file 2 MFG's N-Z?

Our software team are looking into a way to automatically create these files for you :-)

Can you do this, if not how are you going to fix this problem?

You need to use the Fixture Tools to select the fixtures you wish to use, and save just theses to floppy disk, as explained above.

in disbelief that a fixture library supplied for a desk series that only has floppy disk doesn't fit on a floppy disk.

Unfortunately, as time moves on, companies make more and more fixtures. This means the files are going to get bigger and bigger and there's not much we can do about that! All our current consoles use USB to get around this problem, and we have created software to allow users of legacy products to choose which fixtures they require.

Hard to tell which fixtures could be removed so maybe could you just host a permanent copy of the last stripped library that did fit on disk as an alternate download as that would at least be a 'get out of jail free' card for most uses.

We can't remove fixtures, as this will generate just as many complains, if not more, about how we don't support customers with legacy products! However, we can look at hosting the old fixture libraries and making these available to download. I will look into doing this next week.

Jon Hole

• 5 months later...

Hi!

I know it might be of topic, but i saw that in this library, the martin rush rgbw 1 is supported, What about Martin Rush PAR 2 RGBW Zoom, need that also working. If it is in the future, then when.

With humble....

Many thanks advance

Peeter

Just a heads up on some mistake I've just seen:

At Botex, you added the Strobe 1500, which is cool to have there ( I used to rather have them on analog channels, but it's nice to be able to use Master fader to only lower the intensity running still on high speed, so using as Fixture is more useful in a way. :) ), and even more awesome is that you thought about the chiped version of it. However, you named them the other way around. The chiped version has 3 channels, while original has 2 channels. Even though it's quite obvious to know, just wanted to point this out, as you implemented this into the fixture library itself, so I think you'd want it to have all as it should be :)

One more thing:

I'm using Stairvilles LED bars 252 RGB, which is splitted into 3 parts in selected mode.

You implemented that fixture as one fixture, which is cool, however I found it better to have each part as separate fixture, and am running them like this:

First fixture is "master", using 5 channels (1+2 for modes/shutter, 3 4 and 5 for 1st color), followed by two "slave" fixtures using only 3 channels (for color only), both of them however having virtual channel Intensity set.

I know this takes 3 times more fixtures, but I find it way easier to program things this way, as I'm always using them in 3-segment mode. This way I can just simply select segments as fixtures and set the desired colors and intensities to them.

In case you'd find them useful as I did, I'm attaching the fixture file below :)

Ps: Regarding fixture addressing and patching, I've added another comment at another topic about feature request.
For the case as I described above, it would be handy to have the ability to set some "Leave x addresses between", so that you could simply click on MFKs to patch several fixtures at once, but instead of simply continuing with dmx addresses just as follows, you could set some break between the fixtures. That way I could patch first all of masters, and later all of slaves, while now I have to do one by one to have DMX set correctly ;)

Best,

Jake

Stairville_led_bar_252_segment.ift

Hi Jake,

Botex ... Strobe 1500 ... named them the other way around. The chiped version has 3 channels, while original has 2 channels.

Thanks for spotting that - I've updated the profiles and attached them below, they'll also be updated in our next fixture library release.

I'm using Stairvilles LED bars 252 RGB, which is splitted into 3 parts in selected mode.

I found it better to have each part as separate fixture

Yes - we have several users who do something similar, and I agree that it's a much easier way or operating :-)

Ps: Regarding fixture addressing and patching, I've added another comment at another topic about feature request.

I'll reply to that next :-)

Jon Hole