Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Software Update - problems installing it

pdodo

I'm a tech, and my shop just got a fat frog. i'm the first to take a crack at it. The console says "Operating system not found. Please insert an upgrade disk". So i installed the disk that that came with the console (Desk software release 2.0, Fixture software 5.0). It loads then nothing else happens. the screen reads version 6.0. What are the instructions for upgrading/loading the software. :(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pdodo,

that´s weird. You should download the actual software 8.x from here and dezip to fresh formatted floppy. This new software disk put in your Frog BEFORE it is turned on!!!!

Now plug in your desk and the software update starts automaticly.

You have to confirm twice that´s all.

That´s the normal way!!!!

Almost it´s a broken floppy disk which causes problems.

best regards

Sven

Sven Paulsen

Klangfarbe Vienna

• 3 weeks later...

I've tryed to load an old version (8.1.1) - it's loading normally (on main lcd appearing "upgrade? - yes or no". But the new one - starting to read disk near 30 sec. but then appearing usual loading of the desk without proposition of new upgrade. I've turned off and then turned on power but it's in vain. Thanks.

I have checked the file from the Zero 88 website and successfully upgraded a desk here with it.

There is a known problem with certain types of floppy disk drive, which were installed in some of the desks.

Can you try upgrading 4/5 times, switching the desk off/on each time and see if that works.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

Please explain what do you mean "...try to upgrade 4/5 times..." :?:

Just repeat the upgrade procedure a few times; maybe it'll eventually upgrade. You could try a new disk; format it with the desk, copy the file again and try to upgrade. If 8.1 loads properly there can't be something wrong with your drive, so it must be the floppy itself.

By the way; this is the wrong place for this question... should be moved :)

> 500 posts, time for a new T-shirt? ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I seem to be having a problem upgrading my desks from 9.2 to 9.6.

None of them appear to recognise the new file. I've used an entire box of new floppys, I've tried them formatted as they come out of the box, reformatted them on the PC and formatted them in the desk itself. I've tried unzipping the download file to a seperate folder and copying the 3 files to floppy, saveing the files to floppy and even unzipping directly to floppy and each time I put the disk in the desk and power up I get the "Searching for uprade" message and some times the "Reading disk"

(1% to 100%) message, then the desk just boots up with 9.2 OS and all the previous show info. Some of the disks had fixture files on them and just to test I tried assigning fixtures fom floppy and the desks all read them perfectly. Any ideas?

Hi Andy,

I had the same problem with my three desks ( 2 Leap Frogs and a Fat Frog) they would not load the new software 9.6 no matter how many new floppys, formatting or unzipping options I used ( see Bug Reports " OS wont upgrade" ) but KWR88 at Zero88 was able to help me out.

I spoke with Franck in germany about this, its the same disc as used in the other desks which went fine, just the mambos. Franck thinks the floppy drives in the desk themselves maybe the problem, so at some point I will swap them around. I will let you know! Andy

• 3 months later...

I am running 9.2 on a leap frog and am trying to upgrade to V 9.6. After some diskdrive issues, I now get the desk to read the disk and it checks it 0% - 100% and then I get:" Slave Bootloader C601, Firmware version C905 SYSTEM TERMINATED.

WHat now!?! :evil: Any ideas?

Hi

Format a Disk in the Desk then copy the file using your PC then try again.

Hope this Helps.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone