pdodo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have one other suggestion - I had have a very similar problem

earlier this jear:

Please be sure your disk is not write protected !

while upgrading ...

regards...

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Albert Einstein

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun"

Al Capone

Hi all,

I had exactly the same problem upgrading to OS 9.6 from 9.2 on both our Fat Frog and Leap Frogs and no amount of formating or old or new disks combinations seemed to work. ZW88 emailed me a copy or version of the software and that eventualy loaded on to the Leap Frogs after several attempts but the the Fat Frog which is one of the first models was not having any of it eventualy I tried loading an earlier version OS 7.5 and this loaded first time, then I tried loading 9.6 and in it went no problem. So you may want to try loading an earlier OS and then try 9.6

I've come across this before as well. I cannot give a definitive answer as I've not done any proper testing. Basically if I try a floppy written on any of the office pcs it does not work and terminates with the same message. These are all identical machines on a network running windows XP, however I have had no problems with floppies written on my home Linux machine. There are too many variables here to tie down, but maybe trying a completely different machine could work. I should add that the work machines are known by others to have unreliable floppy drives.

We have seen problems with some floppy drives where the head doesn't go all the way to the first track of the disk at powerup, and hence the desk fails to recognise the upgrade disk. However if you power-cycle the desk 4 or 5 times, the head will eventually get to the first track and the disk will be recognised.

It shouldn't matter which version of software is already installed on the desk, you can always upgrade straight to the latest version. However, since in version 7.5 the disk access speed was improved, maybe versions after this aren't so tolerant of problem drives.

• 6 months later...

Hi folks,

is it possible to Update a desk running software ver 6.0 with the new ver 9.8 without having all the updates between available ?

TIA

regards

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone

It was just to get the technical clue behind your updates...

I have seen desk´s with ver 6 on it - so I thought I took my own update disks with me when going across theaters :D

Since I´m in the beta testers group I used every upcoming update software, even if it was beta.

I`m satisfied with ver 9.8 Paul. I had stressed this in another topic.

Sebastian H.

Pro - Sound Showtechnik

Albert Einstein

Al Capone

• 6 months later...

Tried to upgrade mine this morning, but it's having none of it. Formatted the disc in the Frog, copied the files from PC onto it, power off, put in disc, power on, does a little pre-loader to 100%, then just carrys on with normal start up.

I've checked the OS on the Frog, it's still 8. something.

Where have I gone wrong!?

Thanks

It's probably worth trying it a few more times. I remember a while back there were certain problems with some floppy disk drives not recognising that there was a disk in there. This seemed to cure itself after a few attempts.

You could also try reformatting the disk on your PC and then copying the new software onto it and see if that helps.

K-Nine : Technically Advanced Roving Dog In Space

Bran Media | Myspace

First please can you give me the desk serial number so I can date the hardware.

Second what are you using to unzip the file?

I have found it is easier to use winzip as I have had a few problems using third party zip tools.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

keith.rogers@signify.com

DD: +44 (0) 1633 833 101.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone else experienced problems with upgrading their desk to Version 10 software ?

I am trying to determine whether Sam's problems above are related to the upgrade file or his desk

Cheers, K-Nine.

I had a problem with the upgrade of my LeapFrog too. The download of the update-file I made some time ago and last weekend I wanted do do the upgrade. But it didn't work. I tested it on and on, but the desk remained at V9.8.

Yesterday I did a new download, put the file on a disk and started the desk with it --> and the update was done!

So I think there was a problem with the older update-file.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

The testing of the latest software began with an error: After downloading I unzipped the files to a folder where I collect all the frog-files.

After that I copied the update-file to a disk and tried to upgrade the LeapFrog but it did not work. The last announcement on the screen was "System Terminated" and all stoped.

Later I unzipped the update-file directly to the disk and that way was successful. I had it already at the upgrade from 9_8 to 10_0.

The upgrade 9_4 to 9_6 and 9_6 to 9_8 worked with the unzip to my folder then copying it to a disk. That's a little strange to me. What could be the reason? Had someone else that problem?

The desk does like upgrade disks to be freshly formatted. Just deleting old files from the disk isn't the same - it leaves behind junk which can confuse the desk.

It is quite possible that the desk also has a preference about the order in which the 3 files from the upgrade zip file are written to the floppy disk. Not altogether sure on this, I haven't tried all permutations, but I would expect it would prefer the frogupg.osf file went on first. Maybe the method you use to unzip the file and get the 3 files on the floppy affects this? Just an idea to mess around with perhaps, you might find it makes no difference at all!

The other thing that sometimes helps is if you format the disk in the desk itself before copying the upgrade files to it on your PC.

Hello Paul!

The first try with the copying was with two absolutly new disks, long formatted on my PC and having only the ~.osf and the ~.txt-file on it. In that case there could be no junk on the disk.

The second (successful) try was with the same disks quick formatted on my PC and containing the ~.osf-file only. And hereby maybe some junk left on the disk.

So I don't think that's the reason for the trouble.

I agree that the desk has a preference about the order in which the upgrade files are written to the disk. In the future I always will unzip only the ~.osf-file direct to the disk and have a look what will happen.

Please, can you tell me the meaning of "System Terminated". Perhaps that will give an answer to the problem to me.

Am I right: The Loader checks the new file before installing it? So if there is a failure it means the new upgrade-file has some corrupted bits or bytes in it or is not complete?

That means it is probably the copying of the ~.osf-file from my "zero88"-folder to the floppy disk where some bits are lost. I wrote it just before: In the future I do the unzip direct to the disk.

The exact mechanism by which the upgrade mechanism works is more complex than it would be appropriate to explain here.

In short, if the upgrade fails, there is something wrong with the file on the upgrade disk. You don't need to understand the desks mechanisms, just try another disk, try formatting the disk in the desk first, try copying the osf file first etc etc as explained above.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I know this subject topic is old but...

I think I have been having the same trouble. Cant update OS from 10.0.1 to 10.0.4. I have tried formatting lots of floppys on XP, Windows 98 and on the leapfrog but with no luck. Iam getting to the stage where I think that we may have a dodgy disc drive?

I can not format any disc using the frog. I use to be able to format up to 93% but then it gave up. Now I can't format at all.

Any ideas?? :?:

Where can you get hold of old OS?

Could you possible E Mail me the current OS? Thanks.

HARLOW COLLEGE Performing Arts.