Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Operate Led Fixtures From Subs

Electech

I need to operate a number of LED fixtures from sub masters on my LeapFrog 48

I don't have enough faders available to just put them there

I have tried storing a red, green and blue sub but they interfere with each other

I have re recorded them untagging the unused colors still they interfere with each other

When I fade up the fixture it comes up white until 50% then the color I want gets brighter and the other 2 fade out

I used to be able to do this on my fat frog but I haven't found the trick (if there is one) to accomplish this on the LeapFrog

Joe Rodgers

Electech

Hi Electech,

Which version of software are you running?

In Submaster Setup, have you activated 'Colour' under 'Submaster Controls...'? Otherwise, Colour will automatically be triggered at the 'Trigger Level' (5% by default) instead of fading in time with the movement of the fader

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

This works well, most steps are already mentioned.

To get this work take care that:

- you have the latest version of the OS (7.6)

- the desk is in full "tracking" mode, also the special mfk page "Smart Tag" and "cue only" are disabled
- In setup -> Desk Setup -> Behavior -> Keep color parameters seperate is set to YES
- during the programming, only the color you want to have is tracked

- Setup the submaster (setup+flash button) -> Submaster controls -> enable color

- If required adjust the "color fade" time, default are 3 seconds

• 3 months later...

I Have updated the Leapfrog 96 desk to 7.7 and have added an RGB+D fixture. after recording the colour and intensity to a submaster and setting the sub control to colour. The LED comes on full white before fading to red with the fader movement up to 100%.

The solution I have found was to set the default and Home Colour parameters to zero and then the LED works as required.

HOWEVER

on saving the show to USB and turning the desk off and on again. the Home and Default changes aren't being saved. Is this a Bug? (the desk is in NON tracking mode)

further more. Why doesnt the chase smooth and fader effects work when using the Generic RGB+D Fixture ??

• 2 weeks later...

on saving the show to USB and turning the desk off and on again. the Home and Default changes aren't being saved.

I've not heard anyone else report this, and it appears to be working for me absolutely fine. Please can you check that the software update definitely worked and that the console is definitely running 7.7.0? SETUP > Files > Desk Information.

why doesnt the chase smooth and fader effects work when using the Generic RGB+D Fixture ??

It should do, if you put your leds at full, in a colour, and then pull down the grandmaster or press the blackout button, what happens? Do the LEDs go out?

Best regards,

Jon

Jon Hole

• 6 months later...

This works well, most steps are already mentioned.

To get this work take care that:

- you have the latest version of the OS (7.6)

- the desk is in full "tracking" mode, also the special mfk page "Smart Tag" and "cue only" are disabled

- In setup -> Desk Setup -> Behavior -> Keep color parameters seperate is set to YES

- during the programming, only the color you want to have is tracked

- Setup the submaster (setup+flash button) -> Submaster controls -> enable color

- If required adjust the "color fade" time, default are 3 seconds

I've done this in the latest firmware 7.8, but I'm having a problem. When I record the R, G, B values in seperate faders it doesn't mix them correctly. As I increase Red it fades out Blue and Green, as I fade up Green it fades Red and Blue out. It seems to be recording the value of all three parameters (RBG) in the sub, so the Red sub has Red recorded at 100% Green and Blue stored at 0%. Green sub is Green at 100% but Red and Blue are at 0%.

Smart Tag is disabled, the submaster controls is set to colour and I'm in tracking mode. I've also set "keep colour parameters sperate" to "Yes"... so how do I make the sub ONLY store the value for the individual colour? I've been at this for days with no success!

Regards.

When you move the wheels, you will see the background of the LCD turns from Blue (with white text) to White (with Blue Text). The White background tells you that that parameter is 'tagged'.

Ensure that only 'Red' is tagged when recording the first submaster, only 'Green' is tagged when recording the second submaster and only 'Blue' is tagged when recording the third submaster.

If more than one colour is tagged, hold down CLEAR and move the wheel to untag that parameter so it will no longer get recorded into the submaster.

BTW - ensure you are in 'tracking mode' to be able to do this.

Jon Hole