Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

12/24 DMX addresses higher than 24

Andy Thompson

I may be going about this all wrong but this is what I am trying to do.

I have a set of LED cans which I want to control on a set of submasters, one for red, one for green and one for blue. As I have lots of other stuff on the desk I thought that I would use the DMX addresses outside of the normal channel range, so picked 25 - 27.

I patched channels 1 - 3 to DMX 25 - 27, then went into program mode and set the lights up using channel 1 to set DMX 25 and saved it to submaster 13, channel 2 to set DMX 26 and saved that to submaster 14, etc.

As I needed to recover control of DMX 1 - 3 I then unpatched it from 25 - 27, returning it to a 1:1 patching.

In run mode I expected submaster 13 to operate DMX 25, etc but this was not so.

If you can tell from the above what I am trying to do, can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Andy Thompson.

Andy Thompson

Hearsall Baptist Church

Hi Andy,

When programming memories and submasters, it's the level of the CHANNELS you are recording, not the DMX addresses.

So by changing the softpatch, the submasters / memories will playback the new addresses.

The only way you could do this would be to start pairing channels - so for example, if you have two lanterns that are both doing the same job, and you never have one on without the other, you can put both of them onto one channel, giving you a spare channel. If you can do that three times, you then have room for your LED Par Can.

Hope this helps,

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Jon,

Thank you for the info, I understand the concept now. I assume that expanding the available DMX addresses past 24 on the 12/24 would cater for heads that require multiple addresses to operate them but, apart from assigning them to channel, how would you access them. If, for instance, a moving head required 16 channels and was assigned channel 30 onwards how would the user access that head during a show?

Andy Thompson

Hearsall Baptist Church

Hi Andy,

The 12/24 really isn't suitable for moving lights - that's why we have the moving light version of the console (the Jester ML 24).

The Jester 12/24 only allows you to have 24 different values at one time (24 'channels'), but you can have more than one DMX address associated to each of those 24 channels. It does also offer 'auxiliaries' which are simple on/off switches for an additional 24 DMX channels - these are useful for triggering smoke machines / strobes etc.

If you wanted to control a 16 channel fixture, that would take up 16 of your 24 channels

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control