Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fixture Personality for Starcloth

jestersun

Looking for a generic star cloth fixture personality for Jester ML 24

Just started work in a venue with a start cloth but im not liking the way the star cloth is being run, only got RGB and dimmer, no option to fade or chase, just every LED on at once which looks tacky.

Any suggestions?

I won't get the chance to get the controller model/ manufacturer for a few days yet but wondering if there is a generic one out there that will sort me out.

Also - by changing the personality, I'm assuming this will affect and loose everything the star cloth is stacked in scene memory wise?

Hi,

Without knowing the make and model of the star cloth it's almost impossible to help I'm afraid.

One option would be to temporarily readdress it to DMX 1 so you can use the faders on the console to see all the options you have with the starcloth?

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Had a look and there is absolutely no branding or any sign of a make or manufacturer on the dmx controller for the star cloth, just an address bar and 3 pin dmx in/out. I think the personality that is working on just now was made by someone as they were in a similar situation to me now. Could I make one with more options if there are any?

I will address it to dmx 1 and see what sort of response I get. By moving the fader will it display all the features of the said starcloth?

Hi Jestersun, it all depends on the star cloth. Some starcloths just have 3 or 4 channels, each that bring on a random selection of the lights. This allows you to build your own chases / effects from the console. Other starcloths will have built in effects, chases etc.

By addressing to DMX 1, and then using the faders, you will hopefully be able to write down what each channel seems to do, and find out how many channels the cloth takes up (keep going until you get to a channel that doesn't have any affect). With this information, we can try and make you a fixture profile.

However, be aware that some channels will be affected by other channels. So for example, channel 3 might not do anything, until channel 2 is at a particular value.

Jon Hole

• 5 months later...

Hi Sam,

Here's the fixture profile - it has a slightly strange method of control, so let me know how it works (it's very hard without having it in front of us!).

The website, product page and manual all used different names, so I've just called it 'DMX Starcloth'!

Regards,

LEDJ Starcloth.ift

Jon Hole

• 3 months later...