Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Colour mixing on submasters

erik

I have an issue when programming rgb fixtures into submasters.

Say I have amber programmed onto submaster 1/1 and white onto submaster 1/2. If I pull up the white, then the amber, then pull down the white and then pull down the amber, as the amber fader moves down, the intensity fades, but the colour slowly becomes white again for no apparent reason.

I have attached a showfile that does exactly this. The fixtures concerned are six Chuavet TriColour LEDs on faders 34 - 39

I have no idea why it is doing! Any ideas? :blink:

weird_colour.isf

Hi Erik

The reason for this is that you have the submasters set to 'Submaster Controls... Colour'. Because of this, when you move the fader down, the submaster returns the fixture to its default value. The default RGB values you have specified in the fixture type are 100%, so as you move the fader down the colour fades to 100%.

In Edit Fixtures, select your LEDs and adjust the Default value for Red, Green and Blue to 0%. Then the submasters should behave as you expect.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Peter

I'm afraid this does not work. If I set the RGB defaults to 0, 0, 0, the fixtures start outputting RGB values of 255, with intensity mapped to the fader to which it is assigned. This means that when I pull up the fader, they are white, as opposed to being "black" (which also doesn't make sense). The colour wheels also state values of 100 for red, green and blue. When operating the submasters in this configuration, as I pull up the submaster fader, the scene starts in white, and slowly becomes whatever colour it is programmed, as the fader moves up.

Returning to the original setting (defaults for RGB at 100), I perhaps should have added that it works in both ways. In other words, if I pull up amber first, followed by white, take down amber and then take down white, the white becomes amber. This happens for any programmed colour on any submaster. I have done this with other colours and the result is result is the same (in the new showfile I programmed submasters containing red, blue and green respectively (but with all colour parameters tagged)

Submaster controls colour needs to be on, as the submasters are programmed for theater shows, which require gradual fades between scenes, which aren't necessarily a fixed time (ie, I can't used colour fade times).

weird_colour2.isf