Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

'GO' Button Issue. Go button restarts desk.

Harlow College

Good Day to you all. :)

I have got a Leapfrog 96 desk. :D Before Christmas we had to move our desk for a performance which was being staged over our raked auditorium so all of the technical controls were run from the up stage part of the performance space with the audiance sitting on the normal performance area, however by moving the desk it developed a fault. Basically the GO button would restart the desk if pressed (which if like me you tend to do during a show). It would restart the desk during a tech and dress run, but never thankfully during a performance. We took it that this was because the lx op was pressing the go button more quietly than normal during a performance due to being so close to the audiance so the fault was not occuring. During the run we phoned a really helpful gent at Zero88 who sugested a few things such as setting up a Macro to trigger the go which we did. At this stage I assumed that the Printed Circuit Board had become cracked and was shorting out the desk. It was not a software thing said the nice man at Zero88 as if it was the desk would have offered a debug file apon restarting so we knew it was more serious than that.

This morning I finally got a chance to open up and inspect the desk. After lots of playing around I discovered that under the GO button there are two switches with red LEDs on. If you press the left hand one the desk runs next cue, if however you press the right hand one, then the desk restarts. The right hand switch has a lot of play in it compared to the left one. Also one of the solder points under the PCB is concaved where the others are all convex.

My questions are,

Can I remove the 'broken'(?) switch without any problems or do I need both switches to be present?

Can I request a new switch and is it easy to swap out?

Would I be better off returning the whole desk or the PCB to Zero88 for them to repair and how much will Zero88 Charge?

Has anyone else had any experiance of this? :wacko:

Thank you all for your time.

Richard,

GlassBox Theatre - Harlow College

Richard Wood
HARLOW COLLEGE

www.harlow-college.ac.uk