Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester ML Memory upgrade

Härterei

I will try my best to explain this in english -

We are using a Jester ML24 V3.0 for a medium-sized event location. Over time we have been able to increase the number of Fixtures that we are using.

Now I am reprogramming the console and have run into a problem. Even though there is much room for programming submasters and cues, the actual memory is rapidly shrinking with each cue due to the number of fixtures in use. Is it possible to upgrade the memory of the console or is it limited to 512kB? Right now we are on a limited budget, so buying a bigger console is no option right now.

Also: Is it possible to control an fixture attribute other than the dimmer via Submaster (say for example the x and y values for position)?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

The memory in the Jester is fixed, so it can't be upgraded - however you shouldn't be reaching capacity unless you have programmed all the subs, palettes and have well over 400 cues.

Could you send me a show file please? My email is jon.hole@cooperindustries.com

Many Thanks

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Sometimes we have external crew operating lights, especially at our reggae parties. So we have a little Keyboard (old KORG MIDI controller) connected to the console and control the submasters via midi - this reduces the punishment our flash buttons have to take and makes it much more fun for everybody. Also we have a 24-Channel Showtec console connected via DMX-in to have direct access to the first 48 channels.

However, the memory problem started before we tried out the MIDI-Extension.

Hope that helps...

If you have something plugged into the DMX IN whilst programming, the desk is going to be storing a snap shot of all 512 channels for each memory and submaster you program, which I think is the problem you are experiencing.

If you are using the DMX in device for playback, I wouldn't have it plugged in whilst recording or the above is going to happen and you will be faced with the problem you have described.

If there is a '+' in the cue, that means it has recorded DMX IN data too.

I hope this clears up the problems?

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Yup, lots of "+" in all the cues. ARGH!

Thanks, I think you've found it. That leaves me with a few final questions:

1) Is there a way to clean up the cues without having to reprogram every single cue from scratch? A few of them have really been a pain.

2) Is there a way to access channels 25-48 for programming without having to hook up the "wing"? I'll be needing those for some Submasters later on...

*edit: another very important question for me:*

3) Does this problem also affect the memories for the fixture attributes? I pray it's not the case...

Thank you so much for your quick help!

Just made some experiments:

first I disconnected all DMX and MIDI-cables,

then I cleared all subs and cues manually - that didn't free too much memory, although it should have....

then I cleared all mems/subs using the option in the setup menu - voila, free 100%, memory, fixture attributes still there

changed the DMX-Input option from "snapshot" to "subs"

with no data cables attached I programmed a 40-step chase using conventional lights only, no "+" in the cuelist shown,

jester startet eating up memory fairly rapidly, memory down to about 90%

then I cleared the chaser manually (using clear and shift) - freed about 1% of memory

again, cleared the (now supposedly empty) memory by using the option setup menu.

Now I'm a little at loss here. What is all this data, that the console is retaining even though submasters and cuelist appear to be empty (but really are not, since you can free the memory with the setup menu)?? Is there a setup option I forgot?

Thanks, I really appreciate your help!

I will try to somehow work around this problem as I need to have something workable put together by tomorrow night. However I would be glad if you keep me informed via this thread. Even if it came late I'm still very curious about what the problem was. If we at the club should find out anything by pure chance, we'll make sure to post it here.