Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

transfering show from leapfrog 96 to 48

Carwyn

Hi

I have a small tour coming up where i have two venues where one has the leapfrog 96 and the next one has the leapfrog 48.

If i were to transfer the show from the 96 to 48 is it possible to operate submasters 11 to 30 on the leapfrog 48 that i pre programmed on the 96 version or should i stick to the first 10

Thanks

Hi Carwyn,

On the Leap Frog 48, the only way to access submasters 11 - 30 is via an external manual desk plugged into the DMX IN.

However, remember that the submasters are pagable - so you could always copy Submaster 1/11 to Submaster 2/1 (1st submaster of page 2) etc

Hope this helps,

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

so i could either use an additional dmx desk or go from the dmx out to the dmx in on the same desk and put them to the channels but i do not want to take either of the options just stated. ill see if the 2 venues are willing to change desks over for the week due to a lot of subs being used 10 pages to be exact the 2 venues are run by the same council anyway so cant see it being a problem

Thanks Anyway

p.s might be an idea to put like in the comand line an option to control subs somehow

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carwyn

If you're not using your preset faders during the show, you could always try this trick:

Take a short DMX cable and link DMX universe 2 (or any spare universe) to the DMX input.

Then in Edit Fixtures, repatch 20 of the preset faders to output on that universe.

Then go to Desk Setup / Inputs, and select the DMX In address for each submaster as the addresses you assigned to the preset outputs.

Now your preset faders will work as submasters.

However:

• The submasters will follow the 'preset mix mode' (Desk setup / Behaviour) and therefore the Preset Master & Clear button
  • The LEDs will not function on the preset faders as you would expect for a submaster
  • There may be a slight delay in processing these submasters, as the desk has to output a value and read it back in
  • Flashing a DMX-In channel is the same as pressing the 'flash' button on the submaster, so will select it in the submaster window. However, flashing does not work when the channel is at full (the desk can't see a difference between 100% and 100% :))

I've used this a couple of times to get me around scenarios like this!

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Carwyn

If you're not using your preset faders during the show, you could always try this trick:

Take a short DMX cable and link DMX universe 2 (or any spare universe) to the DMX input.

Then in Edit Fixtures, repatch 20 of the preset faders to output on that universe.

Then go to Desk Setup / Inputs, and select the DMX In address for each submaster as the addresses you assigned to the preset outputs.

Now your preset faders will work as submasters.

However:

• The submasters will follow the 'preset mix mode' (Desk setup / Behaviour) and therefore the Preset Master & Clear button
  • The LEDs will not function on the preset faders as you would expect for a submaster
  • There may be a slight delay in processing these submasters, as the desk has to output a value and read it back in
  • Flashing a DMX-In channel is the same as pressing the 'flash' button on the submaster, so will select it in the submaster window. However, flashing does not work when the channel is at full (the desk can't see a difference between 100% and 100% :))

I've used this a couple of times to get me around scenarios like this!

Peter

That works great. But be careful if you are using the htp mode of the preset faders.

In this case be sure that they are really "0" and not tagged while you are programming the submasters - otherwise you could create "loops". It happened to me once and I needed some time for the troubleshooting because I did not expect that.