Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Problems to upgrade Jester

donato

Hi

I have a Jester 24/48, but it still have the software version 2.1, so i tried to upgrade it to the current version 3.4.

I downloaded and unzipped the OS to the root directory of a USB stick, which is fat32 formatted. Then i did the upgrade as described in the instruction document.

The problem is that the jester didn't recognise the .jos-file on the memory stick. It is always complaining that there is no .jos-file on it.

I tried the procedure with two different sticks, with the same result at the end..

What am I doing wrong?

Or is it not possible to upgrade it directly from 2.1 to 3.4?

Thanks for your help

donato

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Both,

What size memory sticks are you using to update the desk? If you haven't, I would suggest trying memory sticks with 1GB or less of memory.

Also, avoid the Kingston Traveler range - these have software preloaded onto them which stops them working as bootable drives.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

thank you for your tips.

First i also thought that the memory stick could be the problem, but i tried 2 different ones: a 2GB and a 512MB..

So I will try to upgrade it to 3.2 first and then to the actual version.

I post the results as soon as i did it

donato

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Donato,

If you can't upgrade to 3.4 you won't be able to upgrade to 3.2.

It's not the software that's causing the problem, it's either the mix of hardware between the Jester and your memory stick, or the files that are on the memory stick.

Try checking that there are only two files on the memory stick, both fully unzipped, no other zip file, and that none of the files are inside directories.

Many Thanks

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

• 3 months later...