Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Using Submaster to run a show

rscraft

I do several single instance concerts a year (one day to setup, no clue what the music is like and concert in the evening). I generally create several scenes to manage all the static lights and assign them to submasters, then mix them on the fly (moving heads are also pre-programmed, the touch screen makes running them real easy :) - good job).

Anyway, the questions:

1. The sliders by default are cues, is there a way to change the default behavior to submasters? My work around is: from a new show, I manually set 30 of them to submaster and saved that as a show, so at least now I just start with the show - hopefully there is an easier way.

2. I'd also like a real easy, very quick way to switch between submaster pages. Something like assigning a submaster page to a UDK - so when I press UDK 3, it switches to submaster page 3 (I do a lot of training new lighting folks, and keeping things real simple is imperative) - having to press 4 keys - Sub {page} <number> <enter> - is too time consuming in a live show.

thanx

Russ

btw - LOVE the Iphone/Ipad app - it makes aiming and setup much easier. I actually ran a whole concert from my IPAD - sitting in the audience, it was a lot of fun.

Hi Russ,

1. The sliders by default are cues, is there a way to change the default behavior to submasters? My work around is: from a new show, I manually set 30 of them to submaster and saved that as a show, so at least now I just start with the show - hopefully there is an easier way.

No, at the moment there is no way to make all the Playbacks into Submasters by default. This is something we have built into the ORB XF that is released later this month.

2. I'd also like a real easy, very quick way to switch between submaster pages. Something like assigning a submaster page to a UDK - so when I press UDK 3, it switches to submaster page 3 (I do a lot of training new lighting folks, and keeping things real simple is imperative) - having to press 4 keys - Sub {page} <number> <enter> - is too time consuming in a live show.

We've set up Macros to do this before, and then saved the Macro onto a UDK. Be aware that Macros record the actual key presses - for example the Macro would record that you pressed the third syntax key, not the {page} syntax key.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control