Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Jester ML24 Right hand thumbwheel intermittant??

Tom Scott

Hi,

We have recently purchased a Jester ML24 about 4 months ago. We have only used it twice at an actual event and both times the right hand thumbwheel has worked when patching the desk and prgramming the subs, then after coming back to use the desk at the event its just stopped doing anything. When it stops working it won't change the number on the display above it. Both times our dealer has come to our rescue and supplied us with a replacment desk from their hire stock. When returning the borrowed desk, we powered up our desk and the thumbwheel has worked perfectly.

Our dealer had our desk on test across 3 days after the first time and there was no problem at all. We have been lucky that I checked our desk just before the show and found the fault with time to get another desk, if it went down in the middle of a show then the it could be a serious problem!

I had the desk setup for a few weeks at home with some fixtures to get used to it as it is our first foray into proper desks and it operated fine with no problems at all.

I really like the desk but am very worried about it going down in the middle of a show! Has there been any reported issues like this before?

Many thanks in advance,

Tom Scott

Hi Tom,

From what you say it sounds like the wheels PCB isn't sat correctly and has come loose, causing the intermittent problem you describe.

This should be a simple fix, and your dealer should be your first 'port of call'. Give them a call, and they should be able to solve the problem under warranty.

Hope this helps.

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. I let our dealer have a look at it after the last gig we just did. From what I understand they removed the wheel and PCB, checked and cleaned everything and refitted it as no obvious faults were found. I think we will have to carry on using it, hopefully the problem is solved. I'm sure you understand my concern!

Of course, seeing as its an intermittant fault, I am well aware that generally in order to find a fault it has to be broken at the time! So we'll carry on using it and see what happens!

Thanks again,

Tom Scott