Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

What's happening with the TL?

karleaton

Given that half the topics in the TL section seem to be mine and the last posting before this was 10th December 2009 is it fair to say that the TLs are not exactly popular?

Are there any plans for further software releases or has development now stalled?

As lighting director for a local amateur venue I bought a TL to replace an aging and temperamental Strand LBX. In theory it does everything we need. Unfortunately there are several niggles which I have raised on the forum and with Peter Kirkup at the PLASA North show. These issues mean the TL is not popular with all of the people who have used it at the venue (about a eight people to date) and many still prefer to drag out the old Strand instead.

If there is no chance of these issues being sorted any time soon we are going to have to start looking for a replacement desk. This would be a pity as I have a Jester 12/24 which I love and the TL should be every bit as good but for some reason it seems to drive people mental when they have to program it.

Hi karleaton,

We have now stopped manufacturing the original Jester TL in favour of the more popular Jester TL Xtra, which gives you the additional 10 submasters. However, we still support the TL, continue to provide updates for it, and have a limited number in stock.

Cheers

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control

It's actually the TL Xtra that we've got.

My question really revolves around work to implement requested features in the software. For example the ability to use submasters when programming memories, ability to use the Edit key to edit the current memory in run mode, provision of a back key, possibility to set times on memories using keypad (preferably blind), some form of blind edit, etc.

Are there any plans for further software releases in the near future, if so which if any of the outstanding feature requests are likely to be included? Are any of the requests unlikely to ever get incorporated?

The original Jester 12/24 is very intuitive and easy to work with. The TL and TL Xtra seem to have issues that make them less intuitive and at times extremely frustrating. Most of these issues (blind edit excepted) would seem to be fairly straight forward to address. I keep hoping that a new release will appear that fixes them.

At present we don’t have a timescale for the next release of our Jester TL / Xtra software, but keep checking back as we will post news here once we have any information. We’ve logged your ideas into our database and we regularly evaluate any future ideas, which will include your feedback.

Cheers

Jon Hole
Global Product Manager, Systems and Control