Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

New here....

BassTool

Hi all,

Just found this forum and I think my bandmates and myself will be relying on you more knowledgable folks from now on ;) . We have NO experience with our brand new Jester ML24 and a whole truss of brand new lighting that we have taken delivery of, so at this moment we face an incredibly daunting task getting some sort of show up and running...... :blink::blink:

We are finding the desk and manual pretty tough going at the moment from a novice point of view :unsure: we're sure we'll get there eventually, but this forum could be a huge help to us. I'll post lights spec when I get it together :rolleyes:

Looking forward to any advice we may need from anyone willing to help ;)

Anyone here from the NorthEast of England?

:)

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the forums. Its not as daunting as it first seems, once you get to understand how things work and get yoiur head rouynd the desk.

best way is to start playing and learn as yoiu go.

list your equipment and i can give a rough guide.

Im not a ighting engineer but through working inhouse in a venue that only has 1 engineer to do both sound and lighting ive picked up alot.

Generaly par can dimmers (for me anyway) go first. we have 2 dimmer units which take u p 6 channels each. first dimmer unit is set to start at dmx adress 1 then the 2nd set to 7

we also have some scanners. 4 which are 4 channel and 4 which are 6 channel. so those get assigned with a starting address and each next unit set at the next free dmx address. so say the 4 channel light starts at 100, the next 1 will be set to 104 (as each unit uses 4 dmx channels. so 100 101 102 103 are used by the first unit)

patching dimmers on the desk is easy, simple ass assigning numbers to channels on the desk.

when it comes to lights with more functions like scanners, scrollers, moving heads etc its a little bit different but not too difficult. Read the manual section fictures. the desk has configurations for alot of fixtures so it can be as simple as selecting the fixture, assigning it to the fixture section then giving it a dmx address.

if your moving lights are less commen, you may need to make a fixture file, which you can do with simple pc software and load it to the desk with a usb memory stick.

first thing to do probably would be to update the desks os

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the reply KTE. We had Paul McEwan out from zero88 for a training day a few weeks back, and whilst we can now get our lights to do basic stuff there are some things that we try to follow from the manual that should be simple but will not happen. For instance, we cannot follow any of the manual for crossfading (or anything else that requires us to set a scene with any fader) because none of our faders on either bank A or B will control a single fixture?

Do we need to assign fixtures to each fader so that when we take one up on a fader, an individual fixture will come on? How do we do that?

We are a band and have two sets of Kam Bar Led floods at the front of stage, and on the back truss we have 4 Chauvet Indigo moving heads, 8 Chauvet moving head min spots, and two Alpha Legend 250 moving head floods - 22 LED fixtures in total,all moving except the Kam Bars. They are all sorted with dmx addresses but are we missing something very basic when we cannot control in any mode from the faders?

Pics of our set up can be viewed at www.thedustytools.com

Any help much appreciated ;)