Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Frog Box Remote Control

Mark A. Hogan

Greetings one and all

I am POTENTIALLY looking at using a Frog Box in a theme park style project here in the US. I have done the initial dig for information, but now need to find details about remote controlling the device with a show control system. Does this info exist somewhere please ?? (did I just not see it !?!?)

Midi/RS232/ethernet approaches all quite fine !! but a listing of how you do what with what string would be super.

Many thanks...

M

Hi Mark

Frog Box essentially is a cross over product with iLight which is our sister company that speduckes in the architectural market. Basically as a stand alone unit Frog Box can be triggered by an on board clock, by a simple remote go closure of which there are six so it is possible to select a different memory with a closure and then trigger it with a different one, run the cue list off a remot touch screen or trigger using SMPTE or Midi show control.

Alternatively you get into the full range of products that can be used with it from the iLight range. This includes linking to other systems using RS232, a astronomical time clock, remote closures as many as you want, PE cells etc.

If you can tell me what you are thinking of doing I will be happy to work through this with you. Alternatively you can call our dealer ACT lighting who are in LA. The best person to talk to will be Mike Falconer or Bob Gordon. I will be in LA next week if you want to discuss.

Best

Graham

To clarify the current MIDI implementation, and quoting K-Nine...

"The only implementation of SMPTE/MIDI on the frog series of desks is using the timecode to trigger memories on the memory stack."

Your other option is to use the "Chilli Pro RS232 Link" (see pricelists for details) which will allow control of the Frog Box via its Chillinet port. CLICK HERE for the manual.

With the RS232 Node, you can use the command:

Command PM Play Memory

The syntax is: @PMxx:Dxx:Fxx<cr>

PMxx defines the Memory Number, valid for 00 to 99 (whole numbered memories only).

Dxx defines the Chillinet Dimmer Number, set to FF to communicate with the Frog Box.

Fxx defines the Fade Time, however this parameter is ignored by the Frog Box, instead it uses the fade times programmed in the show, so simply send 00.

Hope this helps,

Paul.

Edit: Added link for manual.

Hi Mark

If you need more memories and functionality, our sister company iLight has a more sophisticated network software that will also run with Frog Box. I am using one at the moment to trigger light shows in Malaysia that have around 300 memories triggering off an Astro time clock or being over ridden by a SMPTE show that is run for specific occassions.

If we can look at what you are trying to do then we can spec the best pieces for it. Think of it as a bunch of building blocks that allow you to build a small apartment through to a Beverly Hills Mansion!

I will be in LA for NAMM. If you email me off forum with a Phone number I will try and hook up with you while I am over. My email is geales@zero88.com.

Cheers

Graham

• 1 month later...

Hello to all here in this Forum,

i do not know if anybody has suggested this before, i just post it now because i would need it.

as the frog range has 6 remote switches the software input could be increased be changing the mode into a binary readout of the switches.

if somebody means this could drop some of the existing features i would say optional 6 or 64 remoted memories.

if you use normal buttons it would just work fine with 6

if you use an electronic device to remote the buttens 64 could be done easily

any other ideas?

thanxxx 4 reading

andi512

We use Crestron for our installations to remote the light and the rest of the system.

up to now our planning dep. used the horrible pulsar masterpiece replay unit.

we used rs232 to control the unit and this should not be changed

switches are available as well, the Crestron DMX unit is too expensive

as CAN is not implemented into the software yet we need another way to remote the frogbox.

i heard something about a rs232 to chilli converter and chilli connectivity for the frogbox.

couldn´t find the menu listed in the manual in the phantom version of frogbox so i think it´s not there in real?

thanxxx 4 your help

Hi

we have a sister company iLight that is in the architectural market. By combining elements of their products with the Frog's it is possible to get a range of options. You can use an astronomical time clock, get a RS232 bridge or we do UIG's which have 6 or 9 switches. In all these cases a memory can be assigned to a switch or can be triggered by specific commands from Crestron or the time clock.

If you can tell me exactly what you want to do then I can get you specific information.

Graham