Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Betapack 3 with Level Plus and Betapack 2

I have recently started operating a small lighting setup for an amateur dramatics group.

The setup comprises of a Betapack 2 (UK 15A sockets, fused) connected to a Level Plus Mk 1 dimmer board.

When the system was purchased, the intention was always to add more stage lights to the system, so the Level Plus was chosen as it has 12 channels, and a second Betapack could be added at a later date to allow more lights to be connected. (We currently use only 6 of the channels on the Level Plus.)

However, the second Betapack was never purchased, and now that I want to purchase one, they are now discontinued!

What I want to know is, is it possible to purchase a Betapack 2 from anywhere? Or will the Betapack 3 work with the dimmer board? Or can I use dimmers manufactured by other companies?

Please appreciate that the drama group work on an incredibly limited budget, and are in no position to purchase a complete new system, so an upgrade to what we have is the only option. The current dimmer and desk do everything that we need anyway; it's just that we need more channels! We are happy to buy a dimmer 2nd hand (as long as it will pass the PAT test, of course!).

One more thing:

The current Betapack 2 is powered with a huge blue plug (I think that it's 63 Amps, but I'm not sure. It measures about 8cm across). We have a socket fitted to the wall that we operate the lights from (presumably on a different phase to the other sockets). If we do manage to get a second dimmer, can we power it from the same socket somehow (With a twin socket adaptor? From the current dimmer?), or do we need to get another wall socket fitted?

• 1 month later...

The first question to ask is the Level desk running DMX or analogue?

If DMX then you would have no problems in using this with a Beta3 dimmer.

If it is analogue then it will not interface to a Beta3.

Again to using other Dimmer if it is DMX it will control any other DMX dimmer.

If analogue you would need to locate a dimmer that will take a 0 to +10v signal.

For the mains connection you would need to check out what the current rating and cable used of the actual supply to the socket, as you do not want to over load the spur by adding an additional dimmer. Any of our distributors would be able to advise on installation issues like this.

Any more questions please e-mail me on the address below.

Regards,

Keith Rogers

Zero 88 Support: support@zero88.com

Hi Matt,

To source a 2nd hand dimmer that will accept analogue control and/or DMX depending on your Level Plus as per Keith's response, you might want to look here:

http://www.usedlighting.co.uk/category/1/11/13

If your Level 12 Plus is analogue (it will have two 8-pin sockets on the back) then you should look for a Zero88 Betapack1 or Betapack2. You could also look at the Strand Act dimmers but you might want to query the seller that they can take a +10 volt control voltage (Strand used to use -10 volt signalling).

As per the mains supply for your new dimmer, I (like Keith) suggest you take some advice from a genuinely qualified electrician for how to reconfigure your supply to handle two dimmers. In principle it looks like you have a 63 amp supply and in an amateur context this could probably be reconfigured to two 32 amp supplies for your two dimmers - you should get a proper electrician to do this for you (maybe about £100). You might like to spend a few minutes working out how many and of what type of lighting instruments you use, since by splitting the available supply to two dimmers you may need to restrict how many lights you plug into each dimmer - although the total number of lights can be the same as you use now and I suspect as you only currently have 6 channels of dimming, you could probably increase your lighting stock further.

Hope this helps; post/PM/email me if I can help any more (even if I am a month late responding to your original post!)

Regards,

Kevin