Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

48 Channel faders become subs?

mikewoodld

Peter, here's a wild idea. I don't know if this would be even possible, but it would be amazing to be able to do:

I rarely need to use all 48 faders as individual channel faders.. seems like a lot of wasted real estate. It would amazing if all 48 could be programmed as submasters. I know there is no LCD readout with them, but I would be more than willing to use tape, :-).

As you probably know, I don't own the desk but one of my company's clients does and we operate it for them. With the events (wedding receptions, corp. parties) that they do, having a ton of submasters would be ideal. I'd love to be able to record scenes or whatever onto each of the 48 channel faders.

What do you think?

Hi Mike

Here's a solution for you:

Take a short DMX cable and link a spare output universe to the DMX In. Then in Desk Setup/Inputs, set a DMX-In address on Submasters 11-30 (increase the Max Submasters to 30 first) and patch the spare channel faders to output on that DMX Output universe using Edit Fixtures. Et Voila - 30 Submasters :)

Does that work for you? :)

Peter Kirkup

• 2 weeks later...
Then someone with a Leap Frog 96 (which has 30 subs, hence the limit) will come along and want 126 submasters.... I'm not sure the desk would want to process 126 submaster faders at once... We just x3 the number of subs you've got already :)

hmm, well you're probably right, seeing as how much of a lack of button response I'm getting from it now - it doesn't even like having 30. It can't keep up with me anymore, im constantly having to push buttons two, even three times. ugh, oh well. It would be nice to be able to use the board and all of the physical faders in the most powerful manner, and if this means being able to have 56 subs on 56 physical faders then it seems like a good idea to me. Why have wasted real estate for individual channel faders without at least an option of being able to use them in a different manner?

• 3 months later...

Great option ofcourse to extent your submasters, but would it not be more conveniant to make this possibilty available in the software itself.

Something like an option on a channel fader to say that has to be submaster number xx.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

That doesn't sound right. We would expect all the 30 subs to be working fine. Can you send us your showfile so we can have a play.

I have the same problem here. I use my old fat frog to control the 30 submasters but the desk become's slow. I have to press the buttons twice or more to get a reaction.

Could you give me your e-mail adress so I can mail you the showfile.

Greats,

Lynx

Leap Frog 48 freak