Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Betapack 3 Noise Problem....

Brawny

Hi all

I may be being incredibly stupid/absent-minded, but I have a problem I am stumped about.

I work at a School and we recently purchased two Betapack 3's, both of which have 32A plugs wired in, which are then plugged into converter leads so that they can each be plugged into a 13A socket. They are running 3 ETC S4 PAR Cans each, and being controlled by a Juggler 12/24.

Everything works fine, except that when the faders are anywhere other than at Zero or Full, there is a significant hum that comes from the Betapacks, and this occurs whether the channel has a lantern attached or not.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Cheers

Brawny

It's perfectly normal for triac dimmers like the Betapack3 to buzz slightly when dimming, the sound comes mainly from the chokes in the dimmer. This can occur even with no load plugged in, due to leakage through filter capacitors inside the dimmer. Usually dimmers are sited away from performance areas because of this.

If you think the noise is severe and could indicate a fault in the dimmer then it would be wise to get the dimmers looked at by the company that supplied them, or call Keith in the office for further advice.