Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Phantom Jester Blank Screen

GrantR

Great to see Jester OLE. I have just installed it but "Front Panel" is blank. Version 1.1. The controls work as you move mouse over them, but screen is blank. I have reinstalled and tried starting as various jester desk options. Same result. I am running XP. Thoughts?

Also, hate to play a scratched record, but is there/will there be any way to get a printout of cues, levels etc?

Thanks

This issue (JES-2216) was first highlighted by some users on the Blue Room (CLICK HERE for topic) when we released Phantom Jester 1.0. We thought we'd fixed it in Phantom Jester 1.1, but some users still seem to have the problem, which unfortunately we aren't able to reproduce here to investigate conclusively.

We have produced a patch for Phantom Jester that uses a different method to solve the blank screen problem (file removed - CLICK HERE for later version).

Please let us know if this solves the problem for you.

Can you confirm that in the 'About' dialog, it's showing the beta test version number, which will verify that you're running the correct patched version of PhantomJester?

Can you also try turning off "High Quality Scaling" in the Settings, then restart PhantomJester to see if that helps. Also try turning off the "Show Monitor" setting and restart PhantomJester - to see if the Front Panel window then displays properly.

If you still get a blank screen, there is a newer beta test version of the patch (file removed - CLICK HERE for later version), which includes a Stop button (JES-2217).

The Stop button allows you to change the desk type and stop/start the Offline Editor more easily - which might provoke the Front Panel window into displaying properly. Some users initially experiencing the blank screen problem have reported that mysteriously after restarting PhantomFrog and changing the desk type etc, the problem fixes itself, so this might help.

If it does start working, please try and remember what was the step that fixed it and let us know. Sorry we can't be any more precise about a solution at the moment, but we're still unable to reproduce this problem here for investigation. Thank you for your patience and assistance in helping to resolve this.

Hi

I have tried both patches, and checked about box, and tried start / stop many times, show monitor / show panel checked/unchecked various ways and each different desk type but no change. Sorry can't offer something more for you to work from

Guessing here - does your PC have plenty of spare memory? On my machine, PhantomJester seems to use up to about 16MB when running normally (depending on which panel you select), but needs more (seen it peak at 34MB) when first drawing the panel. It's possible that if any memory requests are denied by Windows, that the panel won't draw - although if this was the case you'd usually get a pop-up message from Windows saying it was low on virtual memory.

Thanks for the information - very useful. The JesterML48 front panel image built into Phantom Jester is actually at a lower resolution than the others, so it could be that some machines can't handle the larger raw images. If you're not getting any out-of-memory warning messages from windows, this might be due to a graphics card limitation in scaling the raw image to the window.

We've rebuilt Phantom Jester with lower resolution front panel images to see if this helps - new version is 1.2B4 - BETA TEST - download link updated in THIS TOPIC. Please can you try this version and let us know how you get on - hopefully this will be the final fix.

• 3 months later...

I am having blank front pannel issues as well.

I have just overcome this issue.

These are the steps I used:

1 Switch off High Quality Scaling in the settings menue.

2 close all other applications.

3 Refresh Desktop

4 Log Off

5 Log On

6 Open Phantom Jester First

7 Open Front Pannel First

8 Open Monitor

After this I was able top open any other application

Boring but it works

;)