Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Duplicate DMX patching

MGG

Go into Super User, and find the Desk Setup -> Patch Functions -> Manual Patch menu. This will allow you to change the association (patch) between the channels on the desk and the DMX channels.

We are using a BullFrog with 2 banks of 48 channels or in Wide Mode 96 channels. Our dimmer rack is an ETC SR48+. Each of the faders is assigned to two fixtures/dimmers in the ETC Rack.

My question is the same as the one above, I need to split several of these to allow the lights to operate indepently of each other. IE 3left and 3 right are both assigned to fader 18. I would like to assign 3Left to Fader 18 and 3right to Fader 66.

Is this possible and if it is do I do it from the BullFrog or the ETC Rack?

Thank you in advance. I am new to the lighting arena and have little to now experience. A major breakthrough was just figuring out how to assign faders to a submasters.

Update 11/11

I verified last night that the dimmers are actually tied at the ETC rack. When I slide the fader only one of the dimmers i the ETC Rack has a signal light. When I slide up all my faders only 51 of the 96 positions in the rack are lit. does anyone know how to seperate the fixtures that are currently assigned to the same dimmer into a different dimmers in the ETC Rack?

• 3 months later...

hey there

say ive got a dimmer rack of 100 channels

and i want the FIRST generic FADER on the fat frog to controll channels < 1, 12 , 24 > i.e a set of channels so when i push one fader up the selected channels come up

is this possible?

Thanks

Sam

Elliott Silk & Sam Raby

Exstage Theatre Services

www.exstagetheatreservices.co.uk

• 7 months later...

Hi. new guy first post

i have just bought a fat frog with v10.9.1 and am getting on fine with it so far

what i need to know as regards manual patching and duplicates is is it possable to create ( for want of a better word ) a pseudo sub master with the preset a/b/+flash faders and buttons..?? ie manualy patch dmx channels 1.2.3.4. to channel 1 on the desk ( which is easy R.T.F.M. ) what i am finding a bit of a mystery is that what i would like to do is patch

dmx channels 3.4.5.6. onto channel 2 of the desk as it stands the manual patching skips dmx 3 & 4 and will only start at dmx 5 . maybe im misunderstanding the manual about duplicates also on insert mode the lcd comes up with a +1 insted of a D1 as in the manual i presume this is the same and just an update.

thanks Jesterfish

For what you're trying to achieve, you need to use the submasters on the desk, you can't trick it with DMX patching. This is because you can't have multiple desk channels patched to the same desk channel..

You're right, duplicates are now indicated with a '+' rather than a 'D', this was one of the changes that was made as part of an update (version 10.8) to allow duplicate patching of fixtures, and increase the number of duplicates from 10 to 100.

Hi . thanks for the reply thats a bit clearer. what you are saying is that once a dmx channel assigned to a desk preset channel it is exclusive to that desk preset channel and cannot be multi assigned to other desk presets ( i think i read that that feature is available on other zero 88 desks but not on F.Frog) other than in main submaster

Thank jesterfish