Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

Fade Question

Bozo

1. The big overview is that we need to figure out how to transition from a page with multiple playbacks (CS) and multiple cues to another page with multiple playbacks and multiple cues to a ready and waiting position where the first Cue in each playback (CS) is triggered - and subsequent cues can be triggered - all with the Master Go button.

Scenario:

1. Playback fader 1 has 6 Robe Color Washes - 575at (i.e - Cue Stack 981)

2. Playback fader 2 has 4 Robe Color Spots - 575at (i.e - Cue Stack 982)

3. Playback fader 6 has 4 Robe Color Washes 250at (i.e - Cue Stack 986)

4. Playback fader 7 has 1 Coemar Prospot 250LX (i.e - Cue Stack 987)

5. Playback fader 8 has 2 Robe Color Spots - 250at (i.e - Cue Stack 988)

*Each of these have the same number of multiple cues in them

- We working our way through them by using the Master Go button.

Colors for the Fader 6 washes (250at) are triggered by UDK's 1-8

Colors for the Fader 1 washes (575at) are adjusted by udf's 6, 7 and 8.

Question 1 - *Can we set something where the udk colors arrive at full color intensity in "x" seconds?

2. Under the above Scenario:

Question 2 - Can the spots to fade out before they start moving to the next "song" or "sermon" since they have no color mixing - (we don't want to see the colors scroll). *as is stands right now, we don't seem to be able to override the intensity of the spots - they just stay on @ whatever intensity faders 2 and 5 are set.

* The washes can stay on while they move (since they have color mixing).

3. Macros

Question 3 - Is there a way to adjust a macro (one that is programmed and saved in the Macro Window) - where it launches the steps quickly rather than in real time?

4. Question 4 - is there a better way to be setting all of this up?

1. The big overview is that we need to figure out how to transition from a page with multiple playbacks (CS) and multiple cues to another page with multiple playbacks and multiple cues to a ready and waiting position where the first Cue in each playback (CS) is triggered - and subsequent cues can be triggered - all with the Master Go button.

Scenario:

1. Playback fader 1 has 6 Robe Color Washes - 575at (i.e - Cue Stack 981)

2. Playback fader 2 has 4 Robe Color Spots - 575at (i.e - Cue Stack 982)

3. Playback fader 6 has 4 Robe Color Washes 250at (i.e - Cue Stack 986)

4. Playback fader 7 has 1 Coemar Prospot 250LX (i.e - Cue Stack 987)

5. Playback fader 8 has 2 Robe Color Spots - 250at (i.e - Cue Stack 988)

*Each of these have the same number of multiple cues in them

- We working our way through them by using the Master Go button.

Colors for the Fader 6 washes (250at) are triggered by UDK's 1-8

Colors for the Fader 1 washes (575at) are adjusted by udf's 6, 7 and 8.

Question 1 - *Can we set something where the udk colors arrive at full color intensity in "x" seconds?

Unfortunately there is a small bug in version 4.3 software which removes the capability of setting timed fades on UDKs. The only way would be to use a macro which executes a palette, but that would then require you to select the fixtures first. You could do this in the macro too:

RECORD MACRO 1 ENTER

1 THRU 4 ENTER COLOUR 5 TIME ENTER

MACRO

MACRO 1 RECORD <UDK>

TIME RECORD <UDF>

This will then allow you to use the UDF you have specified to set the palette fade time (displayed in the corner of the monitor + touchscreen) and then press the button to select and access that palette.

2. Under the above Scenario:

Question 2 - Can the spots to fade out before they start moving to the next "song" or "sermon" since they have no color mixing - (we don't want to see the colors scroll). *as is stands right now, we don't seem to be able to override the intensity of the spots - they just stay on @ whatever intensity faders 2 and 5 are set.

* The washes can stay on while they move (since they have color mixing).

If you're using the macro I specified above, you could modify the macro command to set the fixture to 0% whilst it was setting colours...e g:

1 THRU 4 @ 0 ENTER COLOUR 5 ENTER @ FULL ENTER

The only disadvantage of doing that would be that the playback fader would no longer control the level of those fixtures. Some fixtures have an internal "blackout whilst changing" feature - i'm pretty sure the Robe fixtures have this feature, on the Pan/Tilt Speed channel. Check the manual for details.

3. Macros

Question 3 - Is there a way to adjust a macro (one that is programmed and saved in the Macro Window) - where it launches the steps quickly rather than in real time?

Unfortunately not at the moment - there is a small time delay to allow the desk time to process the command before the next button press.

4. Question 4 - is there a better way to be setting all of this up?

You could record a small cue stack which only changes the colours (be careful not to include intensity unless you want it - for this you'd probably want to turn Smart Tag off!) and trigger that instead of the UDKs. eg:

Cue 1 - White

Cue 2 - Red

Cue 3 - Blue

etc

Then when you want to change to a colour, you can just say CUE 5 <GO> and the stack will go to Green.

Hope this helps - if you need any more help, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Peter Kirkup