Vari-Lite Controls Support Forum

PDA remote control

Carl Ehrhardt

• 2 months later...

Hi Toadtobias

You need the router plugged into the desk allocating the desk (and PDA) a DHCP IP address (or if not, specify the desk IP address in the Network options). With the software installed on the pocket PC, it should just be a case of running the application and as long as you have Remote Enabled on the desk, it should be listed on the PDA.

If you need any more specific help, we're going to need details about the exact setup you have (which router, which PDA, whats plugged in where, etc).

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Hi Tobias

You'll need to connect a PC into the network with the desk and the PDA. The easiest way to do this is to plug in the desk to one of the ports on the router and a PC to another, both using 'straight' (not cross-over) network cables.

On the PC, you should then be able to load up an internet browser and type in http://192.168.0.1/ into the address bar and hit GO.

At this point you will be prompted for a user name and password, which will be detailed in the user manual for the router.

When you're connected to the router, look for settings which relate to the wireless connection and to DHCP. Ensure that DHCP is enabled and that the wireless is active. Setup a name for the wireless network which you'll recognise (we use "Zero 88") and choose a wireless channel. You can add security if you require it. If you change any settings, you'll need to click the Save Option and then the Reboot Router option to ensure that the settings are stored.

Now on the PDA, ensure that you've activated the wireless connection (this is normally done through some sort of connection manager. The first time you enable wireless in an area, the PDA will search for all available wireless networks and will ask you if you want to connect to any it finds. At this stage, you should see yours listed. Select it and choose connect (if you added security, you'll need to enter these details here).

Once the PDA is connected and the desk is connected, on the desk go to Setup / Network / Remote. Choose Enabled Remote - Yes, and Use DHCP Address - Yes. Again, you can enable security if you like (this security is simply a password the remote will prompt you for before connecting).

At the bottom of the remote setup screen, you should see "Remote Active". If you see "Remote Not Active - No DHCP Address", ensure that DHCP is enabled on the router and reboot the desk.

Assuming you've got "Remote Active" and the PDA connected to the wireless network, you should be able to start the Remote program on the PDA and the desk should be detected.

I hope this helps - if you need any more help, let me know.

Peter

Peter Kirkup

Thank you Peter...I followed your instruction and it works! Everything is perfcet.

The new O.S and the remote control is verry good and works fluently.

I have only one "little" problem.

Everything works perfectly but the CLEAR function, only by the remote PDA doesn't work.

I tried a lot of times, but probably there'a bug. What do you think about?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

After reading through the software v.3 release notes and seeing that the PDA software is now out *hooray*, the one thing the manual does not really explain is how to connect the desk to router. Is it a simple matter of connecting the desk via the Ethernet port into a WiFi router which has been set up to automatically manage DCHP addressing. So apart form using say a laptop to configure the router the system does not have to have any other terminal attached to the network (apart from the PDA)?

Matthew

Hi Matthew

You are right. I just had an DHCP WiFi Router that i have configurated at home (manage DHCP and Broadcast a WLAN) . At the Ehternet (LAN) Port I connectet the Leapfrog. After a few seconds on the PDA there was the LeapFrog online and i was able to connect to it.

Hope it'll help you.

Greatings Carl

Carl Ehrhardt

Technical Director

Kellerbühne St.Gallen

CH-9000 St.Gallen

Switzerland

www.kellerbuehne.ch

• 1 year later...

I know the Orb can be remotely operated via a wifi device such as a PDA with the proper software installed on it. My question is though is how to put the desk onto a network. Can it run straight into a wireless router and effectively be it's own mini-network or does it have to hook up to the internet via ethernet first?

• 1 month later...

Hi Will

Sorry for the delay in responding to this - I must have missed your post during the forum upgrade.

Please take a read of the ZerOS Networking Guide - this explains how to connect the desk for the various different ethernet systems. To answer your question, you can connect the desk to a wireless access point directly to create a mini network.

At no point should a ZerOS console be connected to the internet - there is no benefit to this, and it will cause confusion to the routers and expose your desk to potential attacks from malicious content. Although the desk is protected internally from these sorts of attacks, we would not advise connecting the desk to any network other than a dedicated lighting network.

I hope this clears things up - please let me know if you have any more questions,

Kind Regards,

Peter Kirkup

• 1 month later...

If a software update for the remote is in the offing, can I suggest the inclusion of a go button so that the cue stack can be fired off via the remote?

My principal uses for the remote are as a riggers handset and as an aide for lectures, so the ability to actually go through a cue list would be advantageous in the extreme. Also for the rather rarer occassions when I'm operating lighting and sound it would be helpful to fire the odd cue from the sound desk so that I can op both desks at once. This would save the embarassing dive across the 8 foot gap between the desks.

Just a thought.

• 3 months later...